Zoom R8 - Mapping faders to send MIDI CC

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
SuperKons
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R8 - Mapping faders to send MIDI CC

Post by SuperKons » Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello,
I recently acquired a Zoom R8, and I am trying to get my head around it, as regards re-mapping the MIDI data the faders send across, to specific CC messages. For example, I would like to have Fader 1 to send CC1, Fader 2 to send CC11, Fader 3 to send CC7, etc.

I am not using the R8 as a Mackie Control, because that would not give me the ability to send MIDI CC across. In both Reaper and Cubase, the R8 is listed amongst the MIDI devices. What I have achieved, this far, and just in Reaper, is having each fader sending over a Pitch Wheel CC message (I do not even know how I managed that, honestly...), and mapping them to work at VST track level, but that affects ALL the MIDI track sending into it, and I would like the MIDI automation data being recorded per MIDI track, not onto the VST one. That has worked only once, I have not been able to see any MIDI data being sent to Reaper/Cubase. I am very much lost, honestly.

Hope this makes sense, thank you for the assistance!
0 x

zoniopoda omnicolor
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Zoom R8 - Mapping faders to send MIDI CC

Post by zoniopoda omnicolor » Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 am

Hi,

I would say, best bet: head over to the Reaper and Cubase forums for help on this. You can probably find some very smart people; possibly developers too, who can help get it set up in the DAW perspective.

I’m not a MIDI expert, but why do you want to map to CC when you could use Mackie? Then you could probably get those DAWS to learn when you move controls. Anyway, how can you use CC if you don’t know what the R8 is sending, or have the ability to edit the R8’s program codes? Just curious.

In my albeit limited experience, from what I’ve learned from others, I think that a lot depends on the codec in the DAW pertaining to the device even if the device is “native”. So going to Mackie, or maybe a generic choice might be something to try. In Reason, I went with Mackie for the R8 and so far, it’s been great.
0 x

SuperKons
new to this board
new to this board

Post by SuperKons » Tue May 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello zoniopoda omnicolor,
thank you, for your reply.
Truth is, I have posted the very same question, in the Reaper and Cubase forum, but the lack of replies brought me here.

I understand perfectly what you mean, and I apologise if I sounded a bit strange, in my question, but the reason is that I am quite new to using a control surface device. I like the R8, mind you, I just need some guidance, as to how to properly use to control parameters in different VSTs, and that means, MIDI CC messages.

Thanks again!
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue May 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Since you can not change the messages sent by the R8/16/24, you are left with:
1) determining just what messages are used by the Mackie compatibility mode
2) creating a mapping file in the DAW that would reroute those messages to what you want to control.

The normal usage is strictly to use the faders for track volume, and the transport section to move around in the project.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

SuperKons
new to this board
new to this board

Post by SuperKons » Tue May 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I have spent a few hours, tonight, giving it another try, with no avail, alas. In both Reaper and Cubase, when I move one of the faders, after selecting "Learn", in either DAW, I cannot see anything at all, coming in to the DAW. That both in Mackie Control mode, and normal MIDI mode. I have tried turning on and off, unplugging, etc., nothing.
I really would like to understand what I am doing wrong
0 x