Zoom R16 as mixer

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
bombicri
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R16 as mixer

Post by bombicri » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am

I should like to use Zoom R16 & Reaper like a mixer for live performance (not for recording).
I installed the R16 Driver and is working, I succeed to conect R16 to Reaper.
I have in Reaper all the 8 channels from R16, I can control the sliders (faders) from Reaper with the ones from R16.

And here is my problem:
The sliders from Reaper are moving simultaneous with sliders from R16 but they have no effect on sounds which are coming on the 8 channels from different instruments.
I hoped that in this configuration I shall be able to control the tone of every channel (High, Mid and Low) as on R16 there is no tone control.
But if I playback a record all the sliders are working.
Is there any possibility to make the sliders and the ton control buttons to work for live performance?
I am working Reaper under Windows 10.
Thanks.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Zoom R16 as mixer

Post by Wulfraed » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 am

bombicri wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am
And here is my problem:
The sliders from Reaper are moving simultaneous with sliders from R16 but they have no effect on sounds which are coming on the 8 channels from different instruments.
How are you monitoring the results? (I also presume you mean that each instrument is tied to a single channel). The control surface mode should affect the volume faders of the application.
I hoped that in this configuration I shall be able to control the tone of every channel (High, Mid and Low) as on R16 there is no tone control.
Pardon? What do you think the EQ settings on page 38 of the manual are for? Though I'll have to confess I don't know if those are active when in audio interface mode; they may only apply to track outputs sent to the Master. They were meant to be set prior to recording, and stay that way.
But if I playback a record all the sliders are working.
Is there any possibility to make the sliders and the ton control buttons to work for live performance?

Again, how is the output being handled?

I suspect my first suggestion would be to experiment with just the computer's native (stereo) line-in/line-out to ensure you can configure Reaper to affect that (L/R) channel set. That takes out the matter of R16 misconfiguration.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

bombicri
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bombicri » Wed May 24, 2017 3:05 am

Thank you Wulfraed for detailed answer.
First of all I have to say that I am completely newbie in sound processing so please excuse my inappropriate words.
And here are answers for your questions:
1. Every instrument connected to an imput in R16 is tied to a single mono channel in Reaper. I am monitoring the results on main outputs of R16. R16 is in audio interface mode.
2. As I said my aim is to use Reaper & R16 as mixer for live performance and I should like to have ton control on every channel. Following your words, with R16 in audio interface mode I pushed PAN/EQ button and there is possible to change PAN, REVERB SEND and VOLUME for every track, and they are really working, but there is no possibility to set the tone.
But if I renounce to have R16 in audio interface mode than is possible to set the tone as per page 38 of R16 manual ... my shame that I missed to read it.

So, my problem is solved, even if it is without Reaper.
Thank you again Wulfraed for your time.
Great people here in a great forum.
0 x

bombicri
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bombicri » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:15 am

I came back.
I tried to listen to some tracks on Reaper without being connected with R16. All work well, I can hear the sound in speakers or in headset.
All the faders are working.
Here is the device settings:
Device settings.jpg
I made as following:
- shut down Reaper
- connect R16 via USB
- put R16 in audio interface state ... sample rate is showing for short time 44.1 kHz and after is showing 96.0 kHz
- open Reaper, new project
- chose devices as in next image:
Device settings2.jpg
In this situation if I move sliders on R16, the corresponding sliders or buttons are moving in Reaper.
I can not here any sound on laptop speakers or in headset connected to laptop.
The sound is going out through output ports of R16 but it is not influenced by the moving of sliders.
I should like to have the possibility to use R16 like a mixer, to collect the 8 channels and to transfer them to Reaper, to have in Reaper the possibility to control the sound for every channel (level, EQ) and to send the result to stereo port of the laptop.
Please help me with the necessary settings as I am really new in using Reaper as well as R16.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x