Connecting Macbook Pro to R24

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
fjs714
member in good standing
member in good standing

Connecting Macbook Pro to R24

Post by fjs714 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:34 am

Hi Fellas,
I was experimenting the other day. I connected my Macbook to my Apogee Duet(Terrific Interface) then to my Zoom. The quality of sound really diminished. I was told, that's because the Apogee has more professional components that the Zoom. When I connect my Korg Kronos to the Zoom, the recorded sound is very nice.
Is there a cable to connect my laptop to the zoom directly without losing quality of sound (especially from plugins like Omnisphere)?
Thanks Frank
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Connecting Macbook Pro to R24

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:44 pm

fjs714 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:34 am
Hi Fellas,
I was experimenting the other day. I connected my Macbook to my Apogee Duet(Terrific Interface) then to my Zoom. The quality of sound really diminished. I was told, that's because the Apogee has more professional components that the Zoom. When I connect my Korg Kronos to the Zoom, the recorded sound is very nice.
Is there a cable to connect my laptop to the zoom directly without losing quality of sound (especially from plugins like Omnisphere)?
Thanks Frank

HOW are you connecting to the computer?

If using the USB audio interface mode of the R24, there should be no loss from the cable. The R24 runs the analog/digital conversion, and is just sending digital packets to the computer. The only conceivable "loss" mode would be if the computer is too slow to poll the USB port at a rate to keep up with the packets. (Note: you also have packets going the other way as the output).

Make sure you have both systems set for the same bit-depth/rate.

Now... If you were using the /line-out/ from the R24 to the line/mic-in of the computer, THEN your are running a sequence of: analog->R24 A/D converter->D/A converter->analog line-out->computer A/D converter->...
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

fjs714
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by fjs714 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Wulfraed,
Thanks for responding. I wanted to do the reverse. I wanted to record from my computer (omnisphere) into the Zoom.
Frank
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:21 pm

fjs714 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:39 pm
Wulfraed,
Thanks for responding. I wanted to do the reverse. I wanted to record from my computer (omnisphere) into the Zoom.
Frank
If "Omnisphere" is capable of saving to WAV format files, the best route would be to let it generate files on the computer and then import the files into a project (make sure the bit-depth/sample-rate match the project). Software generated sounds (VST?) combined with USB streaming could be stressing the computer. And if it is using soundcard (most have general MIDI instrument capability) means using one soundcard to generate the data, then somehow capture and digitize the analog output to pass over the USB.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

fjs714
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by fjs714 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks again for your help
0 x