"No Data" message when trying to burn CD on HD16CD

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

"No Data" message when trying to burn CD on HD16CD

Post by sleepingtiger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 pm

I am attempting to burn a CD of some rehearsal recordings & keep hitting a roadblock when I should be getting the "Time" display, I get "No Data". Am I doing something wrong in the track selection process? I've been selecting using the same method as I would if playing a track. Everything goes as the manual says until that point. I've tried everything I could thin k of, but get the same result.
PLEASE dumb it down, as I have had the unit for a long time, but didn't use it much, so I'm not as well versed with it as I should be. I bought it at the end of it's production run new because I wanted an "all in one" unit, as opposed to having to interface with a computer. I thought I was keeping it simple, but evidently not as as I am! :oops:
Any help is appreciated!

Tony
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: "No Data" message when trying to burn CD on HD16CD

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:10 am

It would help if you listed the steps -- as shown in the manual (page 139+) from beginning up to where you get the error message; especially as the unit supports single project writes (until finalized) and "playlist" (multiple projects with finalization).

However, I'm going to go out on a limb since you mentioned "track selection process". Per the note(s) on the bottom left of pg138 -- Audio CD burning only works with the MASTER track (you can select from various "takes" of the MASTER, but the project must have gone through the mastering process at least once). You can not burn from regular working/bounce tracks.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sleepingtiger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks! Do I have to bounce the 4 tracks I have recorded, to the master track, which I have never done, but I guess I'll have to sometime, or is one automatically created? If it is the latter, what color should the track be lit?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:46 pm

sleepingtiger wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:46 pm
Thanks! Do I have to bounce the 4 tracks I have recorded, to the master track, which I have never done, but I guess I'll have to sometime, or is one automatically created? If it is the latter, what color should the track be lit?
On some machines, the only difference between bounce and mastering is in the effects available. On the HD, one bounces multiple tracks to one/mono or two/stereo other tracks, while mastering creates a stereo "master" "file" (the HD really creates two mono files for left and right, one needs a special operation if one wants to export a true stereo file -- unlike the later R-series, where stereo is a stereo file always).

I'm presuming the four tracks you have are meant to be mixed together, and aren't really one track per "song" meant to be sequential.

Page 30 of the manual is the basic mixing phase (adjusting track output levels, panning, etc.); detailed bouncing (which may not be needed for your use) is page 44. Mastering (strangely) is page 42.

First step is to adjust the mix while monitoring (headphones or monitor speakers) until all the levels and panning are as you want. Then rewind, arm the master for record (red, while the playback tracks are green) {Actually, the manual says arm first, adjust levels et al while playing the green tracks, THEN rewind/zero, hold down REC and press PLAY. At the end of the performance, press STOP}

You can confirm the master by setting it green (mutes all other tracks and turns off effects), rewind, play.

To burn to CD you do NOT have to use the convert to stereo WAV function (page 43).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sleepingtiger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:57 pm

OK, so it doesn't automatically create the 2 mono tracks for left & right, correct? Yes the 4 tracks are 4 mics used to record each song, so I guess I have to bounce the 4 tracks to master in order to burn a disk, right? Sorry for the stupid questions!

Tony
0 x

sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sleepingtiger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:16 pm

OK, so I recorded the 4 tracks per song to a stereo master track for all 6 songs & will try to burn them either later tonight or tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Tony
0 x

sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sleepingtiger » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Grrrrr!...now I get to the point where I hit the select key with "Burn" on the display & I get "Insert disk" in the display! I have tried 5 different blank CD-R's of 3 different brands & get the same readout. I even tried just playing a recorded disk & "insert disk" again. The light on the CD door blinks a few times when I insert a CD, but it doesn't recognize any of them.
Any clue what THIS could be???

Tony
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:37 am

At this point we are out of my range of experience...

Possibly a loose cable -- you'd have to follow the manual procedure for installing a CD drive to check.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sleepingtiger » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:37 am

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I REALLY don't feel like opening it up, but don't see an alternative...Thanks for all your help.
0 x

sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sleepingtiger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I tried every option with the unit as is, including cleaning all the contacts on the CDRW drive & rotating the belt near the opening of the drive, but nada. I have ordered a new CDRW drive that appear s to match the specs of the original. I didn't want any conflicts by using a combo CD/DVD drive etc. The original drive is a Lite-on 52X & so is the replacement, so...fingers crossed...again! I'll keep you posted on the results...

Tony
0 x

sleepingtiger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sleepingtiger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:39 am

Well, I put in the new CDRW drive & everything works just fine! Either the original drive was no good in the first place, or somehow "went bad" sitting unused. Either way, I'm fine now. Thanks to all for trying to help!

Tony
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Tony,

You're lucky you were able to purchase a direct replacement CD reader / writer. Very happy to read you were able to get it working. GOOD FOR YOU.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums