Jumping to the end of a track.

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Jumping to the end of a track.

Post by mikethebass » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:47 pm

On a couple of occasions recently when recording live shows I've hit stop at the end of the show then stop rewind to move to the beginning of the project before saving or turning off.

I've then been caught out when the band has played an unscheduled encore.

Is there a way to jump directly to the end of a project? I don't think so, but have I forgotten something?
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Re: Jumping to the end of a track.

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 am

When ever I record live shows to the R16 I simply hit Stop and it 'thinks/stores' for a fraction of a second (if that) and then shows the project number of the project you've just recorded, and remains at the end point of that recording, showing the total elapsed time at the point where you hit Stop.

From there I usually slide off the power switch, it says 'Project Saving"> ZZZZZZZZZ and then it powers down.

I've never hit 'rewind to beginning of project' after stopping (and before shutting down) ever...am I missing something, should I be doing this ?

If my procedure is ok, then you'd be perfectly situated to simply hit rec/play again if the encore seems likely, and (because it's not rewound to the start) it will simply recommence that existing concert file from your previous stop point ? I doubt it would take a second to do this.

When you've stopped recording the file (for the second time, as it now includes the encore), the 'saving files' time can often be significantly longer, as it's re-saving the original concert file and adding the encore, so you could expect it to take up to a minute to do this ? No big deal, as you can be unplugging other gear not associated with the R16 during this process.

However, my alternative approach to capturing an encore is this....at the notional 'end of the concert' hit stop and immediately hit Project > New > Create New Project This will take about 2 secs, and will give you a new project..ready to begin and containing all the parameter settings (ie pans, active tracks etc) of the concert you've just recorded.

If the band comes back on stage you're all poised ready to record the encore, except that it'll now have a new project number. If you're mixing at home in the DAW you can just import this new (encore) project data and place it at the end of the last concert song, so it follows in sequence.

I'm still intrigued by your Stop > rewind to head of project procedure though, is this a recommended common practice before shutdown ?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 am

Rewind should only affect the devices concept of "where" it is in the data (along with leading to the potential of over-writing tracks should record be started when the device is NOT set for "always new" :? )

I'm not familiar with ANY MTR that has a "move to end" function, since when doing step-wise recording ("over-dubbing") it is possible for each track to end at a different point depending upon how quickly one hits the buttons.

The old BOSS BR-600 did allow one to define a "locator point" (which, in the OP's scenario, would be done immediately before rewind), and then jump back to that point later. The BR-600 also had full on-board editing. The Zoom R-series doesn't allow for edits within tracks, so having an ability to jump to specific points was probably not considered of importance. The ZOOM HD series had full editing, and allowed one to set multiple "markers" and jump to any of them later.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am

Stop and rewind is just a habit I've dropped into for no particular reason. The point about different tracks potentially having different end points is well made.

Now I know not to be hunting for a feature that doesn't exist.
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:26 pm

One more alternative...just before hitting stop at the 'apparent' end of the concert, you could hit the marker button (making a mental or pen note of the marker number and time as well !)

Then when it's stopped just advance back (er, forward) to that same final marker and you'll be poised to restart "at the end of tape" for recording the encore, if you simply must have the entire concert plus encore on the same file.

I prefer the safety of putting the bulk of the concert to bed via stopping, and then starting a new project for the encore...or simply not being trigger-happy and stopping the recording at all.... until it's clear there's no more music to come !
Last edited by hoodoo voodoo on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35 pm

Mea culpa

I totally missed seeing markers in the manuals for the R8/R16 when scrolling (looking for "location")
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards