R24 user manual on page 39 - something odd...

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
xelaris
member in good standing
member in good standing

R24 user manual on page 39 - something odd...

Post by xelaris » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:42 am

This HINT is shown on page 39 of the manual (copy and paste):
"Use each track's fader to adjust its volume, pan, EQ and other parameters"

I thought, this is good, I can set parameters using the fader (as a secondary function) instead of the wheel (set it with the cursor first)...but then, not, it doesn't work...is this a mistake on the editorial staff?

In general, I think the navigation could be greatly improved by using key combinations for some useful shortcuts (someone in this forum for example was complaining about not having a way to get to the end of the recording)....and yes, using the track fader to set PAN or EQ when selected via cursor would be a great improvement in my opinion.

Any hope of seeing an firmware update with this sort of improvements?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: R24 user manual on page 39 - something odd...

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:43 am

I'd suspect an error in translation. Though it would appear the error got worse, compared to the same section of the R16: "You can adjust the sound volume and PAN and EQ parameters of each track using its fader". The R8 manual appears to have finally gotten the explanation correct -- it's no longer a "hint"
This mixer mixes the output signals of recorder tracks to stereo.
Use the faders to adjust the volume. You can also adjust the pan and equalizer, for example, for each track.
You can control the following types of parameters using the track mixer.
• Track volume (FADER)
• Track pan (PAN)
• Equalizer (EQ HI, EQ MID, EQ LO) (EQ cannot
• Input signal recording level (REC LEVEL) be adjusted for rhythm pattern tracks)
• Send-return effect levels (REV SEND, CHO SEND)
• Stereo link settings (for mono audio tracks)
• Track phase (INVERT) (the phase of rhythm pattern tracks cannot be adjusted)
The better read for the R24 is probably (using underscore for strikeout): "Use the track mixer to adjust each track's fader to adjust its (volume), pan, EQ and other parameters"

That is: you can adjust the fader setting for all 24 tracks using the parameter list -- it is possible to operate the unit without ever touching the faders themselves.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

xelaris
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: R24 user manual on page 39 - something odd...

Post by xelaris » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm

thanks for your reply - so, just an innocent mistake? Grrrr...

On second thought, that function (using the fader to operate other parameters) wouldn't be that useful...
Still, I'd like to have some shortcuts e.g to set the pan to the center without the need of the wheel - the latter in my opinion uses a sort of "smart" way to determine the speed of operation and so it goes from A to B much faster if used fast and a lot slower if used slow - the term "exponentially" should apply nicely here (so I systematically overshoot the Pan Centre - never mind, it takes time to get used to...).
0 x