Soundside pattern editor?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

Soundside pattern editor?

Post by RoadRanger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Anybody using this on there R24? There doesn't seem to be a demo available and $30 is kinda steep for a crapshoot :( .
https://www.soundside.de/shop/R24patterneditor.htm
I've been using Hydrogen (free) on my Windows laptop - guess i could continue to do that...

I just got in a "used once" R24 from fleaBay so I'm sure I'll have all sorts of questions :mrgreen: .
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Soundside pattern editor?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:21 pm

The answer somewhat depends on how you plan to use the R24. Do the built-in rhythm patterns and included loops suffice? If yes then the pattern editor might be a nice add-on later but it's better to get familiar with what you have.

Have you visited Zoom's R24 webpage to download the manual? If not it's here: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/produc ... er-sampler
1 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RoadRanger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am

I was hoping to do the entire drum track with the pattern editor on the PC but I guess it doesn't "do" that? Looks like quite the PITA to do on the R24 itself? I see that the R24 can do patterns up to 100 measures but don't know if this PC pattern editor can do those that long? 100 measures would be enough for an entire song if I programmed in 8/4 time :) - or one long pattern for the verse, one for the chorus, one for the bridge, etc?
0 x

RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RoadRanger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 am

Guess they haven't sold many copies and/or no users are regulars here. Is there a mailing list or some more active forum for the R24? Are most all of these collecting dust in closets LOL? The one I bought was supposedly used once - guess the owner wasn't a brain surgeon or rocket scientist :O .
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 pm

RoadRanger wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am
I was hoping to do the entire drum track with the pattern editor on the PC but I guess it doesn't "do" that? Looks like quite the PITA to do on the R24 itself? I see that the R24 can do patterns up to 100 measures but don't know if this PC pattern editor can do those that long? 100 measures would be enough for an entire song if I programmed in 8/4 time :) - or one long pattern for the verse, one for the chorus, one for the bridge, etc?
Almost by definition "pattern"s are meant to be short -- 1 to 2 measures, maybe up to 4 -- which are THEN combined into an "arrangement" (I'm borrowing BOSS BR terminology here). Patterns are the parts that repeat, one uses (R24: track sequencer; BOSS "song arrangement") to combine the short patterns into a full song layout (the BOSS presets include things for "intro", "verse", maybe "bridge"). Patterns are NOT meant to be the entire song as one entity.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RoadRanger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:51 am

Sucks that you have to burn a track per pattern you are using - I was hoping to avoid that. I found out from Soundside that they only do patterns up to 12 measures even though the R24 can do them up to 100 measures :( . But that would be OK if I divided the song up into a separate patterns for a verse, chorus, bridge, etc. OTOH I'll probably keep my $30 and just use the free drum machine program I have been using (Hydrogen) to generate a single track scratch rhythm. I'm obviously going to record real drums over it in the end or I wouldn't even be considering using the R24's poor sounds.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 am

RoadRanger wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:51 am
Sucks that you have to burn a track per pattern you are using - I was hoping to avoid that. I found out from Soundside
Main reason the R24 has 8 more tracks than the R16...

If you really needed to free up the sequencer pattern tracks you could maybe start by laying out the entire rhythm scheme, then bounce the result to regular WAV file (stereo pair perhaps if you want spatial diversity in the drum sounds), then disable the sequencer.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

RoadRanger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RoadRanger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:10 am

Yah, I've read here where some just make a separate project for the drum tracks and export that as a stereo WAV to import into the song. I'll probably at least try that to see how much I hate it or not LOL
0 x