Using R16 as an audio interface

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
slashbracket
new to this board
new to this board

Using R16 as an audio interface

Post by slashbracket » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before but a band member has bought the r16 and I might say I'm impressed with recordings of the band. He has asked me to take it away and find out what it can do. He thinks I might work through the manual better than him. I have been doing this and so impressed that I might get one for myself. Before I do I have been trying out various things that I need to know and I've come up with some questions which I hope someone can answer please. My questions are to do using the R16 with a PC.

I cannot seem to connect the R16 to the PC correctly. Sometimes its not recognised even though I've installed the r16 driver that came in the R16 box and my PC and then reinstalled the latest download from Zoom. (I'm am using Win 10 64bit). I read in the manual that USB2 is supported. My PC is not USB2 but I can buy a card to give me USB2. I am not sure that will help as the usb cable supplied in the box is not usb2.

I was hoping to use a recording of the band and when I connect the r16 to the PC using USB, play back the recording for the DAW to "record", one channel for each track. After a phone call to the Music shop where it was bought, it seems that this is not possible. I thought this might be the case as connection to the PC via usb requires pressing the USB button and having done so the play button does not work. I know I can read the SD card via USB or take it out of the R16 and put it in a sd card reader but was hoping I could do this directly. I suppose that reading the SD card in the R16 while transferring the data to the PC is too much to ask.

Any advice gratefully recvd. Thanks for reading
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Using R16 as an audio interface

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm

slashbracket wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 pm
I was hoping to use a recording of the band and when I connect the r16 to the PC using USB, play back the recording for the DAW to "record", one channel for each track. After a phone call to the Music shop where it was bought, it seems that this is not possible. I thought this might be the case as connection to the PC via usb requires pressing the USB button and having done so the play button does not work. I know I can read the SD card via USB or take it out of the R16 and put it in a sd card reader but was hoping I could do this directly. I suppose that reading the SD card in the R16 while transferring the data to the PC is too much to ask.

Any advice gratefully recvd. Thanks for reading
There are two modes for USB: "Card Reader" (open the "card" on the computer and /copy the desired files from the card to the computer) and "Audio Interface" (R16 acts as A/D converter for inputs and D/A converter for outputs -- but does not perform record/playback).

For data already recorded, the procedure would be to /copy/ the files to some location on the computer, and then /import/ those files into a project of the DAW. (You might be able to import directly into the DAW via card reader mode -- but unless the import function does a copy to project, removing the USB connection would mean the DAW loses access to the files)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

slashbracket
new to this board
new to this board

Post by slashbracket » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 am

Hi

Thanks for responding so quickly. It confirms my thoughts regarding play/record while USB is not possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts about usb 1.1 or 2 being necessary for good connection and why the cable supplied is not usb2
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 am

If your computer is running Windows 10 it's probably modern and up-spec'ed enough to have at least USB 2.0, if not 3.0

USB 1.1 is the much slower speed protocol usb connection, most likely to be found on computers from the early to mid 1990's.

I doubt that you have USB 1.1 ports on your computer at all. If the USB sockets on the PC have a thin visible sliver of dark blue in them, they are USB 3.0...if the sliver visible is white, it is USB 2.0. Many modern computers have several USB ports, and often a mixture of USB 2.0 and 3.0

In terms of R16 connection, these USB's are all backwards compatible, so don't worry about inability to use either 2.0 or 3.0....at least as far as the thin rectangular socket is concerned. However, at the other end, where the 'square-ish' connector is located, the USB connector can be taller and more rectangular....what you need for the R16 is the standard USB 2.0 connector on that end, which is much more square looking...you can't interchange these 2 ends on the R16/24

This difference is illustrated in the two "B male" sockets, shown here >> http://powertechservices.net/information/usb2vsusb3/

Here is a good video about transferring files from R16 to computer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVE2vTeMW8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcbMru2rVE is helpful too..and there are a series from this video maker on using the R16 which are good too >>>: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EveanKmzQFI
0 x

jack o-trades
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by jack o-trades » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:11 am

I suppose that reading the SD card in the R16 while transferring the data to the PC is too much to ask.
See my suggestion on

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24141

R16's RD card has more merits than just those stated in the manual. And a USB SD card adapter, on offer at Amazon, eBay or your local electronics shop will hardly break the bank.

Good luck!

jack o-trades
0 x

slashbracket
new to this board
new to this board

Post by slashbracket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 am

Hi - Thanks to all that answered my question. My USB connection to the computer was indeed USB2 and while looking at the motherboard, I found I could add another 4 USB connections so that was a bonus.

I have now got to grips with the R16 and successfully connected it to the PC running Win 10 and using Sonar have recorded the two stereo outputs (voice and guitar) from my voicelive 3.

Still a bit to learn of the R16 effects but getting there

Thanks once again
0 x