R8 drum track shortcut?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Tanglewood
member in good standing
member in good standing

R8 drum track shortcut?

Post by Tanglewood » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi everyone. It's been a few years! I've moved on from my old PS-04 to an R8 recently. (Still bumping along just slightly behind the times as usual!) I'm enjoying learning loads from reading posts here again but I have a quick question. I want to set up a very simple drum track. It only needs to be a closed hat at around 64 BPM. I did manage to do this by playing one bar in time on the pads and looping it. Do I have to do it this way or am I missing something obvious in the tempo settings I could use? I want it to come out in the recording not just as a metronome sound.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: R8 drum track shortcut?

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Sampler functions (manual page 60 onwards) combined with Track Sequencer (page 72 and up)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Tanglewood
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Tanglewood » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks Wulfraed, I have read the manual but I'm still getting as confused as the first thirty times I read it! It doesn't help that I am just a simple play-by-ear finger pickin' acoustic guitar player who doesn't even understand half the terms. I know what a bar is and what a beat is but that's about it. I was hoping to be able to select a tempo in BPM, select the sound I want (closed hat) and tell it to loop.

By experimenting using 'Rhythm' I now have three simple home made test drum tracks recorded and repeating. But they are linked even though I assigned them to different tracks. When I play one, others are playing, and when I play all three together it goes off on its own seemingly adding new stuff that I hadn't even programmed! 8)

I'm guessing now that when using the sampler the whole project is linked and I won't be able to do my usual thing of recording multiple separate tracks and mixing them on Audacity unless I only allow one drum track per project.

I really have searched and read most of the posts on here that contain the letters 'R8' including many of your own excellent replies, plus I have watched all the youtube videos and I've just bought the first volume of Rich Menga's book. I understand now how to use most of the functions except for the sampler which seems to be enjoying having its own little game with me! :mrgreen:

I'll go back to the manual and have a 52nd read.... :book:
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Tanglewood wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:42 am
I'm guessing now that when using the sampler the whole project is linked and I won't be able to do my usual thing of recording multiple separate tracks and mixing them on Audacity unless I only allow one drum track per project.
External mixer is a different matter. As far as Audacity is concerned, you just have a bunch of short tracks for the rhythm.

You will probably have to use the sampler/sequencer to set up the pattern, and then /bounce/ that to a track for the number of measures you need. Then disable the sequencer and its source tracks, taking only the bounce to Audacity (along with the other real tracks).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Tanglewood
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Tanglewood » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks! It's starting to make more sense and I now have it on Audacity. I made the track using 'Rhythm' and bounced it to the master. Then I sent it to Audacity via the USB. I really do need to stop thinking of the R8 as an old fashioned tape recorder. :oops:
1 x

crowley

Post by crowley » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:34 am

If you want to use the inbuilt hat sound -

Make a one bar rhythm pattern and save it - i think that was available in the PS04? - and you had that funny way of sequencing yourupatterns via a formula input??

*then* you go into the sequencer and can drop the pattern into as many bars as you want.

If you are happy with the inbuilt sounds then this way you can use the same pattern for a different tempo for a different track.
0 x

Tanglewood
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Tanglewood » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:31 am

Thanks crowley. :) That's interesting, I didn't realize you could do that. There is so much to learn! I still have my old PS-04 but I only ever used it for simple guitar/vocals because the menu based system made it so complicated to use. I'm really enjoying using the R8 from that point of view.

What I'm trying to do with this simple 164 ish BPM track is to make an acoustic guitar version of Pink Floyd's 'Brain Damage', eventually including the drums. Actually I've found it impossible to copy the tempo of their closed hat sound because it starts off at just over 164 BPM and then gradually goes out after about 30 seconds. The reason I want to copy it so accurately is that I like to have the original song on one track so I can play along and get all the timings right.

Actually, because their closed hat plays on the alternate beat (and I can't get my brain and the guitar to keep up with this for the whole song!) I would rather forget about the hat, play along with the rest of the song and add the hat sound later. But how to cope with the wandering BPM? Unless it's possible record it 'live' without the drum machine insisting on correcting it. :nuts:
0 x

crowley

Post by crowley » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Guess what - I believe your PS04 can program a hi hat pattern into a song - *and* you can enter tempo changes across the song see page 80 of its manual...

Make the whole track in that - bounce it out and import it to the R8

There's lots of great stuff buried inside the PS04 that isnt in the R8. Dont throw it away.
0 x