Syncing 2 R16s

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Syncing 2 R16s

Post by mikethebass » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:36 pm

I've finally bought a second new R16 and would like to record more than 8 tracks at once.

I've read the manual and tried linking both together without success.

The new machine (SW version 1.21) sets up ok. I set the "old" machine up as Slave and that seems to be OK. When I plug the USB cable into the correct port on the old machine (SW version 1.20) the "recorder" text starts flashing in the display and non of the linked controls work.

Do I need to update the old machine SW?
The project numbers on the two machines are different is this a problem?
I've tried swapping USB leads without success.

Any suggestions?
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Syncing 2 R16s

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Perhaps you might want to post the step-by-step directions of how you are trying to accomplish the task of synchronizing the two machines together. My understanding is the two devices remain separate. Transport control, midi time code and song pointers data is transferred between the machines through the USB ports.

I agree with you that it is best for both machine to run the same firmware version so updating the firmware is a good idea. It is a good idea for both machines to be using the same project folder number (although I don't think this is absolutely necessary it certainly can't hurt).
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 am

I'd have thought this should work...I'm pretty sure it's outlined in detail, in either the general operating manual or the interface sub manual (separate document) ? The 2 recorders remain synced together only in transport mode..in other words there's no transference of data from one SD card to another: R16 #1 records a max of 8 tracks and so does R16 #2, and you can't really do a mixdown easily between the 2 R16's...far better to take out both SD cards and transfer data to a computer, where tracks 1-8 and 9-16 across the 2 cards should be synced up very closely.
I assume you're recording in standalone mode, and not trying to use them as audio interfaces ?
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Hello guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for your assistance. I'm aware of the limits of 16 track recording on the R16.
I am trying to use them in standalone mode.

I've put my copy of the Interface Manual "somewhere safe" and can't now find it. I'll have to look online.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:13 pm

The Audio-Interface/Control-Surface manual only covers those two subjects. Nothing about linking two R16s; that is in the main menu on page 35 (that's all -- one page).

Other than the change in menus from the expanded display, the R24 is essentially the same (with notes that R24<>R16 requires the R16 to be SLAVE, and also that the slave may not function if powered just from the USB, use batteries or AC adapter on the slave)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards