R16 not saving when turned off

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
analogkid455
new to this board
new to this board

R16 not saving when turned off

Post by analogkid455 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 pm

It was working fine until this weekend. I forgot to bring the power supply so I just used batteries. I wouldn't think this would have anything to do with it, but thought I would mention it.

We were overdubbing lead guitar and vocals. We listened back to it and the tracks were there. After turning the unit off to save battery power, then turning it back on, the tracks were gone. Is there a way to manually save them? And what would cause it not to save when switched off?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: R16 not saving when turned off

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am

Normally, the files are written continuously (as buffers fill up) during recording, and finalized when you change from record to playback modes.

What may not be written until the you change /project/ or shutdown is the project file that identifies which file is attached to with track. Also, the R16 default is to OVERWRITE files, should you arm a track and hit record.

My suggestion(s): pull the SD card an put it into a computer card reader, then explore the directories looking for WAV files that might contain the data you believe is missing -- if you find them, make note of the project and file names. Maybe make a backup copy of the entire SD card contents. (If you trust the unit, you could connect via USB in card reader mode; but I felt it may be more comfortable to work on just the card itself).

THEN, with the card back in the unit, make sure the active project is the one with the name you found previously, and that the WAV files are assigned to tracks for playback (manual page 23).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

analogkid455
new to this board
new to this board

Post by analogkid455 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:48 pm

OK thanks! I will check it out and let you know what I find.
0 x

analogkid455
new to this board
new to this board

Post by analogkid455 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Found them in the correct folder. Wont play from R16 but no problem. I am uploading to Cubase and mixing in there anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!
0 x