How to use high and low pass filters on R8?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MrSpiderhead
new to this board
new to this board

How to use high and low pass filters on R8?

Post by MrSpiderhead » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi folks,

So, my first post will be a bit of a rookie question. I have the Zoom R8 and have been using it on and off for a while. Now, I'd like to start taking mastering a little more seriously. Well, I read a forum post elsewhere ages ago that detailed how to create high and low pass filters for tracks on the R8, despite there inexplicably not being a dedicated filter effect (as far as I can see). So, does anyone know how to do this? I don't mind having to apply it as a send effect and bounce the track, but I can't figure out how to actually set such an effect in the first place (there are high and low cuts in some of the other effects, but the manual does such a poor job of explaining what the various parameters do that I have no idea what's going on).
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: How to use high and low pass filters on R8?

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:53 pm

I suspect this is being emulated by setting the three-steps of the track EQ to suited values (maximum -dB, with frequency set toward the outer edge -- so a high-pass would set EQ LOW to -maximum, and a frequency somewhere below where you no-longer want "filter"; MID and HIGH set to 0dB (so frequency doesn't really matter)). You are limited to a +/- 12dB on the EQ.

Hmm, there are HI CUT and LOW CUT options, which may more directly reflect "Low Pass" and "High Pass" respectively.

You probably have to bounce to make the setting "permanent" in the data.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

MrSpiderhead
new to this board
new to this board

Post by MrSpiderhead » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:53 pm
I suspect this is being emulated by setting the three-steps of the track EQ (...)

Hmm, there are HI CUT and LOW CUT options, which may more directly reflect "Low Pass" and "High Pass" respectively.

You probably have to bounce to make the setting "permanent" in the data.
Wait, there are low and high cut in the eq? I only saw them is a resonance send effect. Is track EQ a separate entity from the send effects?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:15 am

Manual page 42-43
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards