hd16 and sonar

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
lars48trains
new to this board
new to this board

hd16 and sonar

Post by lars48trains » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Can anyone walk me through using my hd16 as a controller for recordings on sonar. I just purchased this zoom hd16 and after following all instructions in the manual, the recorder will not communicate with my computer. I am a musician by trade and unfamiliar with the language of making this work. very frustrating. Spent hours on the internet and with no constructive results. Please help.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: hd16 and sonar

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Given the age of the HD16, I presume this is a "used" unit. Did the seller provide you with both the main manual, and the separate Control Surface manual?

Note: the control surface manual is focused primarily on Cubase LE usage. Use with other software likely depends upon how compatible said software is with MACKIE control scheme.

Possible hints: Make sure the HD16 is in MACKIE control mode and active BEFORE starting your DAW software.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

lars48trains
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lars48trains » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Wulfred thanks for the response. Yes I have the main and control surface manual. Sonar recognizes the HD16 as hardware. I have it set as Mackie from the HD16 and Mackie on Sonar, but can't figure it out from there.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:19 pm

My regrets, but your description doesn't give much else to go on.

Note that the HD16 does NOT support an audio interface mode -- in control surface mode, that is all you get; controls that map to DAW software. You'll need to load tracks (or use some other audio interface if you want to do direct recording) after which you should be able to do mixing operations using the HD16 faders.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

lars48trains
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lars48trains » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Again, thanks for your input Wulfraed . I only want to use the unit as a surface controller for recordings I've entered in Sonar. There is a cakewalk generic setting and again it seems to be doing something to the HD 16.. some of the fader lights light up, but still no communication. When I set it to Mackie, it shows that it is searching, but no finite connection.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:48 pm

I pulled my HD16 out of storage for testing...

Using (Sony era) Sound Forge, with controller in Learn Mode, I was able to set the play/stop buttons to function. Could not find how to set linkage to faders.

Sonar LE appears to be showing the same thing you are seeing -- the controller toolbar view is showing "connecting" for the status.

Loaded my test WAV into (MAGIX era) Vegas Pro. It took a few moments to configure the MIDI and External Control options, but once I did, fader 1 worked for the imported track, master fader worked master output, and stop/play transport functioned. Rotary control worked to move the timepoint, and the parameter knob was affecting the panning

From this I have to conclude that Sonar does something that is not compatible with Mackie emulations...

Working some more.. While the status still reads "Connecting...", I right-clicked on the track volume display, picked remote control, (forget if I first clicked controller), moved fader 1, and pressed [Learn]. I'm now seeing the track output moving with the fader. Also did that with the master display and fader. Seems I now have track 1 and master working. I do not have transport controls working -- can't right-click the play/stop buttons. Also, tried setting the knob for the panning control, but it only jumps between two values (high/low -- the knobs are on-off encoders, not potentiometers). HOWEVER, for test purposes, I did the right-click/remote control on the panning gadget, moved fader 8, and hit [learn]. Fader 8 is now allowing me to pan anywhere from full left to full right on track 1.

I'm putting the HD16 back into storage. Based upon the above, Sonar needs a LOT of control customization to link controls, and it may take time and study to map the transport controls.

ADDENDUM (2017.11.11): Looking at the DAW supplement manual (last page for Cubase LE) I see the comment that the Cubase LE functionality is dependent upon loading a Zoom specific setup file into Cubase (the Cubase LE 4 section does not have that comment). That tends to imply that even Cubase needs to be configured for the control surface mapping (and the rest of the LE section indicates it needs the generic remote, not Mackie mode; also mentions the config file is on the "factory recover CD" in XML format, so might be useful when manually configuring other applications. Unfortunately, neither the main nor DAW supplement give a listing of just what MIDI control/note/value is linked to any particular part of the HD16 -- so that XML configuration file for generic remote may be the best available information.

I've looked at the R16 AI supplement. It states that, for Sonar, a control-surface plug-in has to be installed when installing the driver. It then goes on to specify how to map "F1" to "F5"
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed