Using stereo TRS jack cables

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Using stereo TRS jack cables

Post by sciurius » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 am

I assume the answer is no, but can I use stereo TRS jack cables for anything but the headphones?
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Using stereo TRS jack cables

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 am

sciurius wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 am
I assume the answer is no, but can I use stereo TRS jack cables for anything but the headphones?
What device, and which ports?

TRS cables used for /balanced mono/ can be used in place of XLR mono on the inputs of all the main Zoom combo-inputs. However, if the source end IS a stereo signal, plugging one into an input will result in cancelling most of the signal. Balanced lines reduce noise (which is common to both S+ and S-) by subtracting S- from S+ (giving 2xS). Since the "center" of a stereo signal is + on both lines, when subtracted, the "center" goes to 0 -- only stuff that is fully in one side or the other gets through, and stuff intermediate will have varying levels of attenuation.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Post by sciurius » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 am

I explicitly meant TRS being Tip = Left, Ring = Right, Shield = Ground. But if all jack inputs are balanced they clearly cannot take a stereo signal.

I'm going to order some more https://www.bax-shop.nl/jack-jack/devin ... rloopkabel cables...
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 am

For several years now I've brought the balanced line outputs of my 8 channel external mic preamp into the R16 via TRS for each channel, I turn the R16 inputs down to 0, to minimize the effect they have on the input signal .
0 x