Question for R16 owners using Linux Mint and/or Fedora as well

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
jack o-trades
member in good standing
member in good standing

Question for R16 owners using Linux Mint and/or Fedora as well

Post by jack o-trades » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Hello all,

I own a Zoom R16. I'm also setting up a fresh home studio, in Linux, on my desktop (presently running KDE Mint "Rosa"). Furthermore, this is heavily based on (musical instrument) sample libraries.

I also intend to purchase a new laptop, come January 2018. The plan is to try out Fedora on that (perhaps with an exact copy of the desktop studio set-up included). This because of ongoing instability issues with Mint. In this case, my old regular laptop will then serve as a Windows 7 auxiliary for functionalities that Linux doesn't cover. Additional advantage of this approach, to my mind, is that the follow-up laptop may thus double as portable home studio.

In order to play musical instrument sample, an audio interface is required. One specifically designed for electric string instruments is available. The Zoom R16 has audio interface capacities as well. Yet the latter is where my difficulty lies.

The audio interface designed for electric string instruments specifically is working fine in Mint. On the desktop as well as on the current KDE Mint 17.3 laptop. It'll work fine in Fedora as well, I presume - although this is yet to be put to the test, obviously. But if it does indeed, it will all the more qualify the new laptop as bona fide portable audio studio.

Therefore, using R16's audio interface capabilities in conjunction with the desktop makes perfect sense, in the light of the above. However, KDE Mint "Rosa" fails to recognise R16. And although I haven't yet made my mind up as to replacing "Rosa" with Fedora, my hunch is that Fedora may not recognise R16 either. I have previously been advised, though, that R16 responds well to certain Mint kernels. Which ones I don't know, since I don't have that information near to hand. However, I suspect that something similar may play in Fedora. So if anybody knows to which Fedora kernel(s) R16 responds positively, please come forward.

jack o-trades
0 x