HD16 "no audio"

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Sunbeam
new to this board
new to this board

HD16 "no audio"

Post by Sunbeam » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:26 am

Hey everyone,
Here is the situation:
My band and I live tracked our album with a local producer. We recorded everything but vocals with this producer. I planned to finish the vox at home, at my own pace, utilizing my new (second hand) Hd16.
I uploaded the stems for the first song from a cd, tracked the vocals, burned the vocals to a seperate cd. Everything went fine. Now I'm starting on the 2nd song and I'm starting to notice a problem.
I'll insert a disc containing stems from another song and I'll get "no audio" from my HD16. It only does with some of the disc. BUT some of the disc that now aren't loading, did load and work fine before. And it seems that once the HD16 reads as disc as "no audio" it continues to read that disc as "no audio" no matter how many times I restart the HD16 or cycle through currently working disc before coming back to a "no audio" disc.
I used windows media player to burn the disc. The disc aren't getting scratched between use. I can't figure it out. Maybe some of you more veteran Zoom users can help out? Is there a thread already addressing this problem? Help would be very much appreciated.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: HD16 "no audio"

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Too many variations:

Disks have been finalized or left open for additions?

Audio CD or Data CD? WMP (Win10) has option to create either format. Per the HD manual, "No Audio" means the disk is not recognized as an AUDIO CD; the HD can not function with mixed mode CDs.

CD-R, CD-RW (while the HD drive is compatible with both, the burning system on the computer originally used may be flaky)

If data CD, is everything in 16-bit/44.1kHz WAV format (though the manual indicates the HD can resample).

Note that data disk import is different from audio disk import (data disk is basically copying a WAV file into a track, audio disk is basically /playing/ the track and capturing it as a recording)

Have you verified the disks using the computer?

Heck, how old are the blank disks (I'm pretty sure I have a stack of CD-R/-RW using a very unstable dye, and exposure to UV can cause damage to written contents; over the years different dye formulations have been used -- whereas the first can fade in a week, later ones can go decades). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Lifespan
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Sunbeam
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Sunbeam » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks for replying Wulfraed.

I want to say that Windows Media Player finalizes disc although I am unsure and don't have any spare blanks to test. If this is the problem, is there any way to burn a disc and leave it unfinalized using WMP? If not how does one burn an unfinalized disc otherwise?

To answer your other questions:
The disc are CD-R. I have verified the disc on a computer. I bought them new in the recent weeks however, there is no telling how long they may have sat on a shelf at the store.

Thanks again
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm

If the disk is readable on the computer, the next likely culprit would be $$ -- failing laser head in the HD CD drive (I've got an old DVD-recorder [you can't find them anymore with video tuners] that won't recognize any disks either -- including factory disks, not just DVD-R/W; second DVD device I've ever had a head go out on).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards