Zoom r16 question

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
macker71165
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom r16 question

Post by macker71165 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi all...had a zoom r16 for a while never played on it much due too work kids always something else needs to be done but recently had some spare time of work done a few recording when laying down the bass guitar found nearly every preset and amp sim sounded distorted in my headphones and when recorded only on the bass sounds does this happen mic/guitar presets all good am i doing something wrong can anyone help? Thnx in advance.. tony
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Zoom r16 question

Post by mikethebass » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum.

I've been using an R16 for several years to record backing tracks and my album. My style can be called country so no massive drums and I'm normally looking for a clean round sound on the bass.

My normal workflow when recording is

1 put down drum machine / click track.
My 1980s drum machine can give me up to 4 individual outputs so I run each into a separate track.

2 Put down the rhythm guitar track normally this is an electro acoustic using the built in pick up.

3 Put down the bass guitar in any combination of these three ways;

a A jack lead straight into the R16

b DI from my combo, I use a TC 2 x 8 which gives me just the sound I want at very low volume. I have the option of pre or post eq on the DI

c A mic in front of the cab, I normally use a large diaphragm condenser Rhode NT1.

I don't normally use any of the inserts when recording. I can add these later.

If I do want to use one my choice is the Hartke emulation as this has a clean sound that suits me.

A couple of things about the R16 that can catch you out. Apologies if you are already aware of these.

Firstly
when recording, the only control that affects the level being recorded is the rotary control on each track. The only indicator of volume being recorded is the little red light on the track. Make sure that it doesn't flash constantly. Depending on your bass / technique etc I'd suggest starting at halfway.
Another point to notice is that the track eq has no effect on the sound you are recording.

Secondly
The faders and volume meters relate to monitoring and playback volume only.

Now, if you have recorded with the inserts and send returns off and no flashing lights does the bass now sound clean?
0 x

macker71165
new to this board
new to this board

Post by macker71165 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:38 am

Thnx mike will try this out not had a chance yet with christmas! just got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-Mode ... B000KIPUQG ..am hoping this will help the bass sounds? i was just wondering ave mostly all the bass sounds on the zoom got distortion on? or is mine faulty ? am a clean bass guy myself! thnx again for your reply mate...peace out
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:50 am

macker71165 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:38 am
Thnx mike will try this out not had a chance yet with christmas! just got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-Mode ... B000KIPUQG ..am hoping this will help the bass sounds? i was just wondering ave mostly all the bass sounds on the zoom got distortion on? or is mine faulty ? am a clean bass guy myself! thnx again for your reply mate...peace out
Did you ever study the parameters of the modules IN those insert effects? After all, they are meant to be starting points for your own fine-tuning. OH, and are we talking actual BASS effects (meant to be used with a real electric bass on input) or BASS-SIM (meant to make a regular electric guitar sound somewhat like a bass)?

Side note: some insert effects CAN lead to clipping as they can result in an output that is higher than the input (which you'd already peaked using the rotary GAIN knob) -- so you might have to edit the final stage of the effect where "output level" (aka TOTAL/ZNR in the algorithm diagrams) is located and reduce that so you are not clipping going into the recording track.

For examples:
BASS TUBE-PRE patch runs
NO comp/limiter; NO EFX; Tube Preamp gain 55, tone 18, cabinet 2, balance 70, level 80; 3Band EQ bass +3dB, middle 0dB, treble +3dB, level 80; NO mod/delay; TOTAL level 23, ZNR threshold 10

BASS BASSMAN has
NO comp/limiter; NO EFX; Bassman preamp gain 80, tone 25, cabinet 1, balance 100, level 60; 3Band EQ bass 0dB, middle +4dB, treble +2dB, level 80; NO mod/delay; Total level 21, ZNR threshold 15

Read page 82 -- the higher the gain level, the higher the distortion; balance controls mix of raw input to effect output (docs don't really describe the effect of cabinet or tone)... So my read would be that Bassman has a high level of distortion, and the output is all distortion effect, with mid/high frequencies boosted. Tube-Pre has moderate distortion gain, and some pre-effect passthrough, and boosts low/high frequencies.

For giggles, the BASS SIM Standard is
NO comp; NO EFX; Bass sim tone 8, level 80; 3Band EQ 0/+5/+5dB, level 80; NO mod/delay; Total 25, ZNR threshold 1 -- no indications if the "bass sim" includes distortion
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

macker71165
new to this board
new to this board

Post by macker71165 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:36 pm

nah! i had this machine over a year and i aint got it permanently setup so i lose heart setting up and down all the time but lately i been playing around with it and enjoying it! just thought all my bass sounds were distorted thought i had a faulty machine! thnx guys
0 x