3/4 time and 6/8 time

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
kencoxglendoick
new to this board
new to this board

3/4 time and 6/8 time

Post by kencoxglendoick » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 pm

I work a lot in 3/4 and 6/8 with folk and Americana. I find the Zoom R24 cant really deal with these time signatures very well. If I use a 3/4 loop it often leaves me with 1/3 of a bar. I cant seem to adjust the metronome to 3/4. I tried using the supplied drum parts but there are only 3 out of 500 in these time signatures, and none very useful. Other programs allow you to set a time signature and then everything adjusts to 3 or 6 or 7 or whatever. Any ideas?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: 3/4 time and 6/8 time

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Probably no help but (given your other post regards loops) take note of page 60 of the manual (BPM calculated for an audio file assume 4/4 time signature).

Confusingly, that page also implies that BPM is set PER TRACK... I have no idea how the unit manages tracks with different BPM settings. You may find that you have to assign, then stretch (page 61-62) to make it match the desired BPM.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Ignatius
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Ignatius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:24 pm

As a workaround, think about setting a very slow BPM, so that each stroke represents one of the three beats in a 3/4 or one and four of a 6/8 measure. Each numbered measure on the machine would represent 4 measures then (or 2 if you are in 6/8.) Think about adding beats 2 and 3 (or 2,3,5 and 6) with some kind of live recording, either a rhythm instrument or even a tap on a small drum.

This is what I intend to do. I know it is not ideal and says nothing about using the loops. A lot depends on what style of music you are recording. Good luck.
0 x

Ignatius
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am

Another thought - see about slowing down any shuffles, which are ostensibly 4/4 or 2/4, but whose microbeats are triple. (DAH-dah-dah DAH-dah-dah DAH-dah-dah DAH-dah-dah, etc.)

I have not explored all possible loops, but you might find something that works. Again each "measure" as described on the R24 would represent either four 3/4 measures or two 6/8 measures. Let us know if any of this works.
0 x