Zoom R16 to home stereo speakers

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
AbeShoot
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R16 to home stereo speakers

Post by AbeShoot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:10 am

Hi,

Is it ok to play guitar through the R16 with the built-in distortion connected to your home stereo, without risk of damaging anything?

Thanks!

/A.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom R16 to home stereo speakers

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 am

Other than your hearing? :run:

As long as the stereo system speakers were properly sized for the amplifier, and you aren't running near the limit (a 100W stereo system should be averaging around 10-20W music, to allow for transient peaks). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

Distortion doesn't, by itself, affect speakers -- and since this distortion is generated via DSP, not via an overdriven amp, the advice (in the link) about limiting the amp to 50% of speaker rating (on the basis that overdrive distortion can pump the amp to peaks twice its rating) doesn't really apply. You've already got the distortion at line-level going into the amplifier, so normal amplification is taking place, not overdriven.

What you may find, however, is that the stereo system (which likely has tweeter and mid-range, if not a woofer too) reproduces a wider frequency band than a guitar combo box which likely has just 8/10/12" speakers. With just a 10" (typical) speaker cone, the combo is basically mid-range to woofer, and won't respond to highest frequency stuff.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

AbeShoot
new to this board
new to this board

Post by AbeShoot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 am
Other than your hearing? :run:
Thanks for your informative reply!
It got a bit technical for my brain though.

Hehe, my hearing is safe as I only play at low volumes (too keep the neighbours happy).
Actually I think you can get an OK sound for practice with this setup.

But if you would put it simple, will my speakers and amp survive if I play through the R16 at low to moderate volume?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 am

If you are really paranoid, and have some device with fixed line-level outputs (electric keyboard, DVD/BD player -- keyboard would be easiest as you control the playing) -- you do NOT want a device with outputs having an adjustable volume.

First: feed the device line-out to the amp line-in. Adjust the amplifier volume control while something is playing on the device to a comfortable level (I doubt you want to locate and buy a consumer SPL meter -- though I see Amazon shows cheap ones around $20, I wouldn't consider one at less than $60; the $300 models might be spec'd at a level that can be used for legal work -- consumer stuff isn't that precisely calibrated ) If using a keyboard, try different octaves, just in case it is not linear... (or try playing the same note in three octaves at once to span frequency range)

With no changes to the amp or device, feed the line-out to R16 inputs, adjust the input gain to just flicker the PEAK LEDs when playing the same sources. Adjust all faders to 0dB, adjust the line-out (on the back of the R16) to minimum. Connect the R16 line-out to the amp line-in. Now, while playing the same source material, adjust the R16 line-out control upward until the result matches the straight device<>amplifier level. At that point, the R16 line-out should be a close match to normal fixed level line-outs (maybe take a small knife and scratch a marker on the line-out control so you can find this position again if the control gets moved).

Since you already peaked the input, and have 0dB for the faders, this should match the highest normal levels you'd mix.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards