Seeking Tutorial: real time use of the perc pads on the R24

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Ignatius
new to this board
new to this board

Seeking Tutorial: real time use of the perc pads on the R24

Post by Ignatius » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello,

I have looked in vain among the many fine R24 tutorials for how to use the percussion pads on the R24 in real time.

If I am reading the manual correctly - and I am not at all confident I am - if I want to use the touch pads in real time, I must:

- clear one of the banks of channels, leaving a stereo pair empty on another bank for an eventual bounce of the percussion sequence
- play along with the tune, selecting the bank with empty channels (putting them in record mode?) Finish the song.
- hit the Sequencer soft key, select a target stereo pair to bounce the percussion to
- mute everything but the percussion, hit record and bounce the percussive sequence to the stereo pair, and voila, I have a self-generated percussion set of tracks. Don't I? Or do I?

I am sure I am wrong about some of the above. Either link to a good tutorial or friendly corrections will be appreciated. I know this is not the most popular way to add percussion, but it was one motivation for my purchase of the unit. Thanks for any help.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Seeking Tutorial: real time use of the perc pads on the R24

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Technically, if you are just playing the pads in "real-time" you are not using the sequencer :?
Also, the pads operate as either loop triggers, using audio files, OR as drum pads using drum kits

If using loop files you have to
  • assign the sounds/loops to the pads in the bank (manual pages 49-51; likely using bank 3)
  • start the sequencer for "real-time" record (manual page 53)
  • Now play the pads -- this will record into the special track-sequencer data, which is not any regular track
  • at end, stop recording
  • play back the sequence (manual page 59)
If using drum kit you have
  • select drum kit (page 66)
  • play pads -- if bank 1-8 selected you get basic drums, bank 9-16 gives other percussion (page 67)
  • you create/record rhythm patterns (page 68-69) -- note that patterns are not meant to be the entire song, but sections that repeat, and a song may have multiple patterns (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro)
  • after creating patterns, you assign them to tracks for use by the track sequencer in place of audio loops, and create a sequence (previous section)
I'm afraid the manual is a bit vague on how one bounces the track sequencer data. One thing is that you should be able to bounce to "new files" on the destination tracks even if they currently hold loops/rhythm patterns -- no need to reserve empties. After the bounce, you would disable the track sequencer (and optionally free up the tracks holding loops/rhythms), setting the bounce for playback.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Ignatius
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Seeking Tutorial: real time use of the perc pads on the R24

Post by Ignatius » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am

Danke Herr Wulfraed. I will give it a throw.
1 x