Zoom HD16CD No Input Led signals or output audio

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Wjammin
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom HD16CD No Input Led signals or output audio

Post by Wjammin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum as of today. I recently aquired this HD16 online. There is a problem with the input and output with this recorder. Has anyone on here experienced this issue? The recorder powers up and boots correctly, and it will play drum and bass tracks and whatever recording, but there is no audio from either output. (headphone out or stereo rca out). If I hook up a mic to any input and set the gain level and arm the track to record, no signal on the led panel is showing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe if I could find a schematic, I could at least track down where the problem lies. Thanks
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom HD16CD No Input Led signals or output audio

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Not really enough information to debug...

For example -- if there is "no output" (in your words) how do you know the rhythm functions are "playing"?

Have you started from a NEW PROJECT?

Have you turned the OUTPUT gain controls up for headphone jack? MASTER OUT is line level and will not drive passive speakers -- you need an amplifier to drive speakers.

When you adjust the input gain control, are you raising it sufficiently to have the PEAK LED flicker when a loud/sharp sound is made (try clapping your hands near the microphone). And, of course, you've turned on the input.

Then, have you raised the REC LEVEL to just before the clipping LED flickers (REC LEVEL handles all active inputs summed together).

Are you using dynamic or condenser microphones? If condenser, did you turn on the phantom power (+48V) switch

Have you slid the faders all the way up, down, and back up to 0dB -- Fader position is tends to be virtual, and sliding them up/down allows the fader to "catch" the position the HD16 thinks the level is really set at. And the MASTER fader control the output level so if that is down, nothing will be heard.

You have turned on the appropriate track(s).

The level meter default is to show the signal coming out of the faders (going to MASTER mix, or from MASTER to output). It is an option to change them to show the level before the fader action.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Wjammin
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Wjammin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks for the info, I have relevant knowledge of zoom products. MRS-802, Zoom G5 guitar pedal, and others. They operate very much the same as the HD16. Sliding the faders to "catch the levels, etc. I have tried all those things and it changes nothing. I have tried different tracks and still no dice. The master track meters are registering. I can adjust the levels and they change accordingly. I have been using an EV 747 dynamic mic and have swapped out cables, mics. There is not even a hint of any audio from the phone out or the master output. I am using powered near field monitors on the RCA outs. I have started a new project with the same result. When I get home I will go back through everything and post the results tonight. I suppose I could have missed something... Is there any available service manuals available if there is an issue with the board? Thanks Baron
0 x

Wjammin
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Wjammin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:04 pm

There is not much info on this subject I have been able to find. We'll see how it goes when I get home... Thanks again
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:42 pm

The only "service manuals" I've seen for any Zoom product was the supplement on how to install a CD-R drive on an HDx that didn't come with one.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards