From DAW to r16?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
GrahamRi55
new to this board
new to this board

From DAW to r16?

Post by GrahamRi55 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 am

Hi everyone. Is it possible to record FROM Ableton Live directly to my R16, other than transferring wav. files? IF not from Ableton, is there any other DAW that offers this facility?
THanks in advance.

Graham.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: From DAW to r16?

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 am

Why would you want to?

I ask as, when one speaks of "recording from ..." I envision moving an ANALOG signal to the recorders inputs, whereupon it is digitized by the recorder's A/D converters.

But since the DAW is already working with digital data, that means converting from digital TO ANALOG first -- through something like a soundcard's D/A converters. That means, rather than a pure copy of the original digital data, you have a copy limited by the quality of the D/A and A/D converters at each end.

This process would also be tied to real-time: A one hour "performance" would take one hour to "record"; whereas the files could probably be copied across in 5 minutes.

To my knowledge, NO Zoom device can "record" from the USB connection. In Audio Interface mode, the recorder section is disabled, leaving the inputs and outputs acting as a sound-card. The HD16 /did/ have a fiber-optic digital out jack (meant for connection to things like DAT recorders, though I have a small set of powered monitor speakers that also support fiber-optic input, along with my Surround Sound amplifier). But the device did not have fiber-optic input.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

GrahamRi55
new to this board
new to this board

Post by GrahamRi55 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Wulfraed, much appreciated. Also very helpful. My idea was to lighten the workload of the PC processor, thinking the R16 would do this, but it seems not if i cannot record directly. I prefer to work with loops so it would probably only be a few minutes of audio at a time. Chopping loops in Ableton, verse, chorus etc, and recording to the R16 sounds like paradise to me :) So i guess im stuck with the wav file transfer method, which just seems like more work than it should be.

Would the asnwer be in a USB audio interface? I could record directly from that right?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm

As soon as you mention "loops" I shudder...

Especially as the R16 is not a device supporting on-board loop sequencing. (The HD16 had a "phrase loop" system, the R24 has the track sequencer)

So do I take it you are laying out the entire song arrangement in that DAW? How many tracks? If Mono or Stereo only, you could always run from your computer Line-Out jack using a (mini)TRS to dual TS adapter cable, and plug into one or two of the XLR/TS input jacks on the R16. However -- getting the recording to start at the proper point will be tricky as you would have to start the recorder AND have the DAW start playback at the same time. And, as I mentioned, that means you are taking digital data in the DAW, running through your soundcard D/A conversion to get a line-level output, then running that analog signal through the R16 pre-amps and into its A/D converter -- all in real-time.

Might as well just have the DAW write the arrangement as a WAV file (something that runs faster than real-time I would hope), wherein the file starts at the first beat (no fight to get the recorder and DAW to both start on the same instant), and copy the result to a track/pair after.

With an R24, you'd export each of those "loops" as a separate file, assign them to tracks (likely the third bank just to get them out of the way), then use the R24 track sequencer to (as an example)
  • play track 17 1 time (intro)
  • play track 18 2 times (two verses)
  • play track 19 1 time(chorus)
  • play track 18 2 times
  • play track 20 1 time (bridge)
  • etc. to end of arrangement

Audio Interface will NOT help. Audio interfaces function in place of the computer sound card. That means a DAW can record on the computer using the interface as input, and can play back through the interface. The audio interface itself does not perform recording functions... Analog into interface, digitized, sent to computer as digital data; digital out from computer, converted to analog by interface, and sent to speakers/headphones.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards