Zoom R16 Windows 10 Troubleshooting

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R16 Windows 10 Troubleshooting

Post by OHanfmann1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Hey guys! I'm very excited about the Zoom R16 I just got but there's a catch! I can't get the damn thing to work.

So my setup is Windows 10 running the Cubase 5 that my Zoom R16 came with. I've been trying to set this thing up for a little over two weeks now. I switched the ASIO Drivers in VST Audio System, I installed the latest driver (2.1), I set up the Mackie Control that does recognize my Zoom R16, on Windows control panel it recognizes the Zoom R16 and I have sound/recording set to the Zoom R16, etc. One thing it won't let me do is VST System Link says 'Not Connected' and when I go to reroute the buses in 'VST Connections' it has the default 'Not connected' for Device Port, I can click the option for Zoom R16_R24 ASIO Driver but it won't do anything.

So I have it hooked up to my computer, the unit itself gets sound and I put on headphones and play guitar and I can hear myself clearly, and when I'm in Cubase if I slide up a fader for Track 2 then Track 2's volume goes up, so I believe the Zoom R16 is hooked up to my computer properly, just when it comes to recording sound it'll record the track (but it'll be flatlined the whole time showing no audio data is being transferred) and then automatically delete it because it was a blank file.

The weirdest part is a few days ago I did actually get it to record (could get the guitar to register but not voice), but now it absolutely won't, and I have no clue why.

Any advice or troubleshooting tips you guys have would make me very happy :drum: :guitar: :sing: :wiggle:
0 x

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Zoom R16 Windows 10 Troubleshooting

Post by OHanfmann1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 pm

and just FYI when I'm in Cubase, it registers all of the channels, I can press mute/record on any of the tracks in the software or on the unit itself and it will register with the appropriate track, I can press ff or rewind, stop record, play, etc. on the Zoom unit and it works on Cubase which leads me to believe the unit is hooked up properly just something with the audio registration/transfer is messed up.

I've tried deleting and redownloading the driver to no avail.

This article said I needed Quicktime to run Zoom R16 properly, is that true? Because I don't have Quicktime and can't download it on Windows 10? http://proaudiodvds.com/setup-instructi ... nd-cubase/
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:48 pm

There are TWO factors at play here...

CONTROL SURFACE MODE -- where Cubase responds to faders (and maybe other controls) of the R16. This is really MIDI type data (if not actual MIDI) running on ONE data stream.

AUDIO INTERFACE MODE -- by default, Windows itself only sees a two-channel (stereo) device. You need one of the 8-channel drivers (ASIO?) to receive audio data on more than just channel 1 and 2; AND you have to select that audio device/driver in the software.
2 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by OHanfmann1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm in Audio Interface mode. Cubase responds to the 8 channels, like if I move the fader up or set to record on 8 the software responds. I just actually uninstalled the driver, rebooted, reinstalled and tried again and now the buses are appropriately set to Zoom R-16 driver (which was only 'Not Connected' before) and I can record guitar but the vocal tracks won't work. Same problem, the unit receives the sound and I can hear myself in the monitor but the computer doesn't receive the sound.

Would it help if I plugged it into the A/C adaptor instead of powering it through the laptop USB?
0 x

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by OHanfmann1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:03 pm

Aaand now it shows the same 'Not Connected' error where it shows the Zoom R16 driver for the buses in VST Connections even though it says the Zoom R16 driver is an option I click it and nothing happens
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 am

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get Cubase licensed (two old versions, spread over three OS... the most recent attempt has the Steinberg site stating that I'm already registered, but I don't have a password for it).

One thing missing from your description is /which/ inputs are you using for your testing...

I'm guessing Input1 for the instrument (passive/high impedance)... But have no idea what you are using for "vocal". If not using Input2, my best guess is still that you aren't getting the 8-input driver associated. The fact that the faders and controls are active is irrelevant -- they are a single channel of MIDI, not multiple streams of audio samples, and go through a whole different subsystem in the OS.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Problems with software are one of the reasons that I use my R16 in standalone mode for recording the audio interface mode for mixing / editing in Reaper or Audacity.
1 x

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by OHanfmann1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Man this shit is killing me... Still can't get it to work. I'm wondering if the Zoom R-16 is the problem or if my laptop just isn't responding to the Zoom software well.

I tried just powering it USB and using it as a standalone unit but I press 'Project' and nothing happens. Do I have to power it through the AC adaptor for standalone mode?

And when I got the audio to record that one time it was indeed through Input 1, I couldn't get sound from the other inputs, but I changed my ASIO driver to the Zoom R16? Now with no manual changes made by myself it went from automatically realizing the Zoom R16 buses in VST Connections, to not realizing them at all and staying on 'Not Connected' do you think the unit is functioning improperly or just the software drivers?

I was never able to download the original drivers, had to find the latest driver online (2.1.0) and download that, could that be a problem?

And yeah if I put headphones through the unit, I can hear everything including vocals on say Track 5 going the same time as guitar on Track 1, but that audio doesn't make it to the laptop. And it doesn't seem the unit realizes I put in an SD card (I assume) because it won't allow me to create a new project (presumably because it thinks I have no available memory)?

I hate this software mayhem man I've waited so long to record and now I have the unit and can't even get it functioning bleh
0 x

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by OHanfmann1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:12 pm

do any of you guys know of a bootleg version of a different recording platform I could use with the Zoom R16 to see if it's my computer's interactions with Windows 10 and Cubase? I assume if I try a different compatible software and it still doesn't work then it has to be the unit/driver?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 pm

https://www.audacityteam.org/

May not support more than stereo -- but if you can get inputs 1&2 to work at the same time, the basics would be verified.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by OHanfmann1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 am

So I downloaded Audacity and it picks up Input 1 but not Input 2. I'm in Audio Interface mode, admittedly I can't find if Audacity has a way to Route the Zoom R16 buses so that may be the issue but that's what happened with Cubase too (when I could even get it to work). I was able to record a vocal interchanging guitar and vocals for Input 1, tried recording both at the same time, only got guitar (input 1).

Now I tried with a stereo track, and input 1 covered the guitar and input 2 covered vocals but I can't simultaneously record two mono tracks. I don't know if this is just Audacity limitations or me not knowing how to work it.

Cubase still won't recognize the audio coming from the Zoom R16 even when I manually set it while Audacity auto-recognizes it lol +1 Audacity

So it seems that the unit works but something with audio data transfer/laptop/driver must be messed up.

About to try another higher level bootleg and see if I can get the multi tracking to work on it, if I can find another program to run the Zoom on idc if it doesn't work with Cubase
0 x

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by OHanfmann1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:48 pm
There are TWO factors at play here...

CONTROL SURFACE MODE -- where Cubase responds to faders (and maybe other controls) of the R16. This is really MIDI type data (if not actual MIDI) running on ONE data stream.

AUDIO INTERFACE MODE -- by default, Windows itself only sees a two-channel (stereo) device. You need one of the 8-channel drivers (ASIO?) to receive audio data on more than just channel 1 and 2; AND you have to select that audio device/driver in the software.
[/quote

How do you access Control Surface mode? When I turn on the Zoom R16 all I see are two options, Audio Interface and Card Reader.

The computer recognizes my MIDI connections are Zoom R16, I switched my ASIO drivers to Zoom R16, the VST Connections (in Cubase) won't recognize the Zoom R16 though, the buses show the option to click Zoom R16_R24 driver but you click it and nothing happens.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 am

OHanfmann1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 am
So I downloaded Audacity and it picks up Input 1 but not Input 2. I'm in Audio Interface mode, admittedly I can't find if Audacity has a way to Route the Zoom R16 buses so that may be the issue but that's what happened with Cubase too (when I could even get it to work). I was able to record a vocal interchanging guitar and vocals for Input 1, tried recording both at the same time, only got guitar (input 1).
I suggested it just as something other than Cubase to work with. I don't think it supports control surface modes.
Now I tried with a stereo track, and input 1 covered the guitar and input 2 covered vocals but I can't simultaneously record two mono tracks. I don't know if this is just Audacity limitations or me not knowing how to work it.
From what I recall, Audacity does have a means of working (that is /editing/ and /mixing/) using more than one /file/, but recording capability does appear to be limited to either Mono or Stereo -- I'll admit I'm surprised they don't have a function to split a stereo file into to mono files.

This shows that, at the least, the first two inputs of the R16 are functioning -- Audacity is likely using the basic USB Audio Interface driver (which is a 2-in/2-out driver, not 8-in/2-out; I really need to install drivers on my current machine for test purposes -- I'm not sure if I had after a drive failure and whole new OS update).
Cubase still won't recognize the audio coming from the Zoom R16 even when I manually set it while Audacity auto-recognizes it lol +1 Audacity

So it seems that the unit works but something with audio data transfer/laptop/driver must be messed up.
Next step might be to see if Cubase can operate in the same mode -- a stereo file linked to input 1&2 (if Audacity shows a driver name, try to pick the same driver name in Cubase).

{Correcting a character deletion to set quoting}
OHanfmann1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 am
How do you access Control Surface mode? When I turn on the Zoom R16 all I see are two options, Audio Interface and Card Reader.
That appears to be automatic when Audio Interface mode is active -- my emphasis is that it is a different data stream from audio, going through a different Windows subsystem: MIDI
The computer recognizes my MIDI connections are Zoom R16, I switched my ASIO drivers to Zoom R16, the VST Connections (in Cubase) won't recognize the Zoom R16 though, the buses show the option to click Zoom R16_R24 driver but you click it and nothing happens.
I forget but did we confirm you have a copy of the R16 Audio Interface manual? There is a whole section on assigning controls to functions for control surface mode. (Though that seems to apply to just the top row in the transport section).
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 pm

I was editing in Reaper today using my R16 as the audio interface. A quick check on a channel at random showed 8 mono inputs or 4 stereo inputs available.
0 x

OHanfmann1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by OHanfmann1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am

Lol so I fixed this awhile ago thought I updated but I guess I forgot. I got it working after closing all other programs before starting Cubase.

Newbie error hahahaha

BUT IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM I LOVE THIS THING
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 pm

OHanfmann1,

Glad you got it resolved, that you are enjoying the interface and that you took time to update this thread. That will help in the future when this thread shows up in search results.

I hope you'll provide a link to your music. Love to hear what you're doing!
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD