Headphone choice

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Lyntonc
new to this board
new to this board

Headphone choice

Post by Lyntonc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 am

I'm a new R8 user and was wondering if anyone has any advice on a good headphone choice. I find the earbuds I've been using to be too quiet even on max volume.
0 x

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Headphone choice

Post by michaelmucklow » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Lyntonc,

I don't know how much you want to spend; I use Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (80 ohm) headphones.

Been using them for many years. I have mixed (award winning) full albums with them and would not change to anything else. I trust them more than any set of studio monitors I've owned.

I know lots of folks say don't use headphones for mixing but it can be done well; just got to know your gear and ears.
0 x
Zoom R8, H1n, PS-04, G3, MS-50G, AC-2
REAPER | MacBook Pro | Beyerdynamic DT 770 | IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors
Yamaha SLG200N & SLG200S | Ibanez AC240OPN | Epiphone LP Studio | Carvin AE-185 | Ibanez AS73 VLS | Hofner Shorty Bass | Cigar Box Guitar

Lyntonc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Lyntonc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi Michaelmucklow,
Thanks for the recommendation, they're within my price range so in the absence of any other suggestions I'll probably go with those.
0 x

Lyntonc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Lyntonc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi,
Sorry to bug you further but on investigating the headphones I find you can get them with 250ohm impedance. Also, anywhere from 16ohms up. Would 250 be more sensitive with a Zoom?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Many moons ago, before MP3 players and "ear buds", headphones were the traditional 8ohm impedance -- matching common stereo speakers (though there were some 4ohm and 16ohm units).

The R8 is rated for 20mW per channel into 32ohm.

https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/head ... -impedance

Higher impedance headphones require more power for a given audio level, but conversely, on equipment that can produce those power levels, are less likely to be blown than lower impedance.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

michaelmucklow
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by michaelmucklow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:25 am

Lyntonc,

I've only ever used the 80ohm version of the headphones, so I don't know how the others would/could affect what you're listening to. I just know that no matter the audio source my DT-770s have performed incredibly well and if they die I will replace them with the same exact model.

I recently gifted my grandson with a pair of the same because he loves them too; he kept borrowing mine for his mixing projects.

Michael
1 x
Zoom R8, H1n, PS-04, G3, MS-50G, AC-2
REAPER | MacBook Pro | Beyerdynamic DT 770 | IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors
Yamaha SLG200N & SLG200S | Ibanez AC240OPN | Epiphone LP Studio | Carvin AE-185 | Ibanez AS73 VLS | Hofner Shorty Bass | Cigar Box Guitar

johnlink
new to this board
new to this board

Post by johnlink » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am

I very much like Sony MDR-7506 headphones ($80). They have fairly flat frequency response and are comfortable to wear.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... phone.html

I also like Ultraphones, which have the same speakers as the 7506s but provide 29 db of isolation ($230 without a case, $240 with a case). Their sound is the same as the 7506s and they are fairly comfortable, but not as comfortable as the 7506s.
https://www.gk-music.com/product/ultraphones/
0 x

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 pm

I have the 250Ω DT-770s (by choice - required for a piece of equipment a while back) and they will be a lot quieter. They are great headphones, but like all phones, they have their own "color".

I also have an ancient old pair of the 7506 predecessor, and still available, Sony MDR-V6. Possibly my favorite all-around headphones, though the earpads are prone to crumble quickly, and after the 2nd replacement set got some velour pads which are doing well.

Other phones I like are Sennheiser 5xx (518 IIRC - too lazy to walk upstairs). They're open back and not good for tracking, however, but a nice set for mixing. I also have a Senn HD 280 Pro set which I initially did not really like, but now I've warmed up to them, or perhaps they've broken in over the past couple years, to where I feel like they are the set most like my Yamaha monitors, in that if they sound good on these, they're going to translate pretty well. (I do not think the DT-770s, as great as they sound, are in that category, TBH.)
0 x

tls11823
Jedi
Jedi

Post by tls11823 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:16 am

I own two pairs of DT-770 80 ohm. I love their sound and isolation. And I can wear them for hours without fatigue. In fact, I've fallen asleep wearing them many times while sitting at my desk chair. The bass is just a bit heavy on them, but over time I've learned to adjust to that.

My son is getting into audio production and looking for a good set of cans. I let him borrow a pair of my DT-770s to test them and he fell in love right away. He'll be buying his own soon.
0 x
[color=#4000FF][i]I reject your reality and substitute my own
--Adam Savage--[/i][/color]