Need to replace card reader in Zoom R16

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
johnlink
new to this board
new to this board

Need to replace card reader in Zoom R16

Post by johnlink » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm

I had trouble removing a card from my Zoom R16. Eventually I was able to remove the card, but it came out in three pieces. When I insert a new card it does not go in as easily as it used to, and I now get an error message saying CARD ERROR when I attempt to format the card. I suspect that the card reader has been damaged. I've contacted Zoom and was told they do not have replacement parts. Zoom will sell me a new R16 for just $215 plus $5 for shipping, but I'd rather replace the card reader if possible.

Does anyone know where to obtain a replacement card reader and how to install it?

John Link
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Need to replace card reader in Zoom R16

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm

https://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Memor ... ?P=1yzxfxm

You'll have to determine if you need a surface mount or through-hole style... Unfortunately I suspect the unit in the R16 probably doesn't have manufacture labels to help match...

Addendum: Above link was for microSD cages; full-size cages are at: https://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Memor ... ?P=1yzxfx6

Pray for through-hole design, as that can be handled with a pencil-tip soldering iron and de-soldering wick to loosen the old one, and some fine electronics solder for the new one.

Surface mount will require something closer to a small heat gun as you'll need to heat the entire cage sufficiently to melt all the solder enough to remove the cage -- but without moving any nearby components! Then clean the solder pads, apply an SMT solder paste, position the new cage (maybe an alligator clip to hold it in place) and use the heat gun to melt the paste... Normally boards using SMT components are soldered en-mass -- paste is wiped over the board (it sticks to the solder pads, not to the epoxy), all components are placed on the pads, and the entire board goes into a temperature controlled oven to melt the solder paste for everything at once.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

johnlink
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Need to replace card reader in Zoom R16

Post by johnlink » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 am

Thank you, Baron. The links you supplied confirm my expectation that the card reader is an inexpensive part.
0 x