R24 record no sound output?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
TheEgg
new to this board
new to this board

R24 record no sound output?

Post by TheEgg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:02 am

Hi
I'm a complete novice so this is probably a simple idiot error post but I'm stumped.
I've recorded a track and it is showing that it has recorded by sound bars movement but next to nothing is coming out of my headphones or speakers. On full playback volume there is just the faintest of sounds.
Has anyone encountered this and if so could you please tell me where I'm going wrong.
Thanks
0 x

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Re: R24 record no sound output?

Post by sciurius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:59 am

If you hit playback, you see the level meters (volume bars) indicating sound?
Is the corresponding fader set to a reasonable value (e.g. 1)?
Is the PLAY/MUTE/REC indicator green?
Is the master fader set at a reasonable value (e.g. 1)?
Do the level meters of the master indicate sound?
Is the master MASTER/MIX DOWN/PLAY indicator green?
Did you turn the know next to the phones plug (see page 9 of the user guide)?
1 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

TheEgg
new to this board
new to this board

Post by TheEgg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:10 am

Hi sciurius
If you hit playback, you see the level meters (volume bars) indicating sound? YES
Is the corresponding fader set to a reasonable value (e.g. 1)? YES
Is the PLAY/MUTE/REC indicator green? YES
Is the master fader set at a reasonable value (e.g. 1)? YES
Do the level meters of the master indicate sound? YES I can just vaguely hear the track but no matter what I do headphone volume or faders I can't get true playback
Is the master MASTER/MIX DOWN/PLAY indicator green? I've tried it both positions - no difference
Did you turn the know next to the phones plug (see page 9 of the user guide)? Yes phones are on full. I have a PS04 and don't have this problem.
I also can't hear myself playing through headphones when doing a take although level meters are showing sound
It's bit frustrating :)
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 am

TheEgg wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:10 am
Is the corresponding fader set to a reasonable value (e.g. 1)? YES
That question has been bothering me. The fader scale runs from -inf to +12dB, with the nominal position being 0dB (the bolded marker line). If you look at fader value using the track parameters control, 0dB is ~100, where -inf is 0 and +12dB is 127.
Do the level meters of the master indicate sound? YES I can just vaguely hear the track but no matter what I do headphone volume or faders I can't get true playback
Is the master MASTER/MIX DOWN/PLAY indicator green? I've tried it both positions - no difference
Did you turn the know next to the phones plug (see page 9 of the user guide)? Yes phones are on full. I have a PS04 and don't have this problem.
Presuming "know" was supposed to be "knob"...

What I don't see mentioned is the position of what the R24 calls the "Balance Control" (page 24). This is not a left/right balance adjustment -- this controls the blend between the metronome sound and the master mix that is heard in the headphones. If it is turned heavily toward "metronome" (CLICK/DAW) you will not hear the master mix through headphones (or the line-outs if the switch is set to "output+phones"). If it isn't already, turn it all the way counter-clockwise to the MASTER/DIRECT position.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards