Audio i/f with Send Reverb effect

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Audio i/f with Send Reverb effect

Post by sciurius » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am

When I use the R24 as an audio interface (page 111), and select SETTING: Reset (fig.4), I would expect a clean Audio i/f. However, there is always a send reverb effect active. What could be the idea behind that behaviour?
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Audio i/f with Send Reverb effect

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Well -- first off would be confirming that RESET turned off all effects.

Second -- where do you have the so-called "Balance" control set (page 36 -- described better in the R16 AI supplement manual, page 25). Any setting other than full CW or full CCW means you are blending the direct (input) audio with the DAW (output) audio... And that could have a small amount of latency creating the effect of an echo (not reverb -- it is only one "copy" whereas reverb will be multiple echoes decreasing in strength) in headphones.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sciurius
been here a while
been here a while

Post by sciurius » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:46 am

As far as I can hear, the position of the "Balance" control (page 25 in the R24 AI Manual) doesn't introduce a noticable echo effect when blending.

Given that a RESET will also set the REVERB SEND of all tracks to 0, switching Reverb on does not have an effect. Probably turning it on by default will prevent frantically turning up REVERB SEND and wondering why nothing happens...
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 pm

sciurius wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am
When I use the R24 as an audio interface (page 111), and select SETTING: Reset (fig.4), I would expect a clean Audio i/f. However, there is always a send reverb effect active. What could be the idea behind that behaviour?
I get the same thing, if I format a card and put it in to the R16 in standalone recorder mode (no computer connected) and create a New Project there's always a send effect activated. It's easy enough to disable it, but why is it created as a default state for a new project ?
0 x