Recording live with Arranger Keyboard and Doo Wop Group

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
fjs714
been here a while
been here a while

Recording live with Arranger Keyboard and Doo Wop Group

Post by fjs714 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

Hi Fellas,
I play a Korg Pa4x arranger for a 5 piece Doo Wop group. We have 5 Shure sm58s plugged into a Powered Yamaha amp and then to speakers. I'm also plugged into the amp. I know how to connect keyboard and 5 mics into R24. PROBLEM: If I then connect the R24 into the Amp, in order to hear our performance, There will be bleeding from the speakers back into the mic. How can I solve this?
Thanks Frank
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Recording live with Arranger Keyboard and Doo Wop Group

Post by Wulfraed » Sat May 05, 2018 10:37 am

Uhm... Very careful microphone placement relative to the performers and speakers... After all, you've already got the same "bleed" when working live (without the recorder in the mix). One reason so many performers have taken to wearing wireless earphone/mics since they can be fed a monitoring mix (see the Zoom LiveTrak? for an example of unit with separate monitor mixes) independent of the audience mix.

You basically need to get the speakers into the null in the microphone cardioid pattern (for the Shures, that means pointing the XLR-end of the handle toward the speakers as much as possible.

Second, you need the microphones as close to the performers as feasible in order to allow you to reduce the input gain. If you imagine the cardioid pattern overlaid on a diagram of the performers, with the microphone at the center of the pattern, and expand/shrink the pattern so the peak is on the performer, anything nearby that falls on the pattern line would be picked up at the same strength.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards