Lurker with creative issues says Hi.

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
mcdaggett
new to this board
new to this board

Lurker with creative issues says Hi.

Post by mcdaggett » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 am

Hi there. Been lurking for over a year. Bought an R24 in April 2017, after my DAW had gone under. I'm not only sick of latency, I also experienced a creative drought, something I'd thought would never happen. Well, it did, and it was scary. I once used a Fostex 280 and then a Tascam 488MKII. I wanna say carefully mastered thanks to the Baron, Selbalicious and topdazzle, although I have spent a lot of time on the loo with all of you polite and helpful people. The R24 really helped me focussing again. Creating rhythm tracks is a hassle, I miss a foot switch and quickly jumping back to previous markers doesn't go as smoothly as I'd wish for. Apart from that: awesome machine. I've (almost) finished recording a 10-song album on it. Went into a recording studio about 3 years ago, but then the "drought" happened. Ended up importing a mixdown of the drums into the R24, deleted the rest and went from there. I've mixed the songs on the R24, and the dynamics are sweet, although I fear raising the volume enough to compete in the loudness war is gonna be a problem. So yeah, that's that. Hi.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Lurker with creative issues says Hi.

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Welcome to the forum! New blood is always welcome. Glad to read you're enjoying your R24 and find it inspires you. Both of your prior machines were awesome recorders.

I had a Teac A3340 reel-to-reel for a long time but never used it much after I discovered how much large reels cost. Not only that but my recordings still sounded like me! I could bounce tracks and create some delay effect but that was about it.

I now have a Zoom MRS-8 digital multi-track and find it inspires me. For me what I find most inspiring is the digital effects. Algorithms are digital insert signal chains. I like that they can make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic or a bass or create the perfect signal chain for recording a wind instrument, piano or vocal. It's like having a full recording studio at your disposal.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

mcdaggett
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Lurker with creative issues says Hi.

Post by mcdaggett » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:18 am

I hear ya. While using tape machines, I brought the mixdowns to a friend, who digitized them and added reverb. I was so glad getting reverb, I always put way too much on. The Fostex sounded excellent and was very easy to use, but I ran out of tracks and I'm not much into bouncing, so in came the Tascam. I got it used and it came without a manual. Those were frustrating weeks. But the most frustrating thing was when the Fostex tape head got stuck and held the cassette hostage, screws on the bottom side, damn you Murphy's Law. Had to break open the tape, bit by bit. It hurt me more than it hurt the machine. Seriously, I know people complained about the Fostex build quality back then, but I found it pretty sturdy. I had to watch those small grey plastic caps on the buttons like a hawk, you could just pull them off with one finger. As for my DAW set-up, it was a mess. I ran literally everything through Guitar Rig, but it sounded just fine. Those digital effects caused me to play more sloppily, though. I'm not much into punching in either, I prefer whole takes, and the R24 just pats you on the back and says "You can do it". Or "Do it again, pal, just do it again."
1 x