R24 with 32G mcro SD card

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MoonBassAlpha
member in good standing
member in good standing

R24 with 32G mcro SD card

Post by MoonBassAlpha » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:10 pm

I've read this is the largest card the R24 can use. I formatted it in the machine fine and created a couple of projects ok.
We recorded 8 tracks, and at the end of the recording (pressed STOP!), the machine hung at the "please wait" stage which normally only takes a few seconds, left it for 10 minutes, still not done. Additionally, all the controls were locked out, so had to pull the power, which I HATE to do with SD card writing.
Tried the same again with same result. Scanned the card for fault - none found.
Has anyone had similar issues, or even success with 32G cards? I just put the 8 G back in and recorded 6 drum tracks with no issues at all, so I don't think it's the R24. The weather was a bit cooler today though...
Could it be a bad card (even though the scan showed no errors)? I'm about to reformat and start over, but I'll see if anyone chips in first!
Cheers
MBA
1 x
R24, MRS1608, (MRS1266 -For Sale)

sciurius

Re: R24 with 32G mcro SD card

Post by sciurius » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:33 pm

I have a Sandisk Ultra 32GB micro card with SD adapter in my R24, and never had any problems.
1 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I'd try using the R24 to reformat the card. In the past, a SD card format performed by the Zoom device differs slightly from the format performed by a computer. You have nothing to lose at this point. That the second card works tells you it is not a R24 reader/writer issue.

I don't know what the difference is, but I do know it is different. I also know there are different formatting standards.

It's worth taking time to look through the SDcard.org site. There is a wealth of information there and it doesn't take much time to look through it. https://www.sdcard.org/

If you want to make sure a SD card is formatted to the SD card specification, download the SD Card Memory Formatter program.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:00 am

Also, after formatting, put the SDcard in another machine to verify that it is formatted to 32G.
1 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:28 am

MoonBassAlpha wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:10 pm
I've read this is the largest card the R24 can use. I formatted it in the machine fine and created a couple of projects ok.
You don't specify a brand...

Cheap cards may be optimized for video only -- which consists of streaming a single file to/from the card (Class 10 cards are rated based upon streaming video to a newly formatted card; Class 2/4/6 cards are rated for random I/O on fragmented cards -- what one might get in a still image camera when one has deleted some images, or in a phone or tablet running applications).

As a result, finalizing multiple tracks and project information on a "video optimized" card can result in massive internal rewrite and erase operations as the card has to close/flush one allocation unit, erase/open another, and copy partial data to the new one before adding the last of the in-memory track to it...

Cards "made" by PNY and Kingston are really ad-hoc purchases from actual card makers to which they imprint their label. Two "identical" cards by these names could be totally different internally. I tend to stick with SanDisk -- who actually has their own chip foundry, in CF cards I have SanDisk and Lexar, but don't have any Lexar SD cards so can't make a recommendation. I've read that Samsung makes their own cards, but have never seen one for sale.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards