Using the R24 for live playback of ambient loops

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
K2000
new to this board
new to this board

Using the R24 for live playback of ambient loops

Post by K2000 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Hello, I'm new to the R24. I play ambient music, and I'm hoping I can incorporate the R24 into my performance.

On the R24, if I have recorded elements on all the tracks, is there a way to have (for example) Tracks 1 & 2 play back at the beginning of my performance, then midway through the piece fade those down, and bring up Tracks 3 & 4, but have 3 & 4 "begin" when I choose? In other words, is there a way to bypass or work around every track starting at 00:00:00?

I was previously using a Roland 404 looper, which lets you trigger and end samples whenever you want, but the problem with that unit (for me) was that fade-ins can only happen on one sample at a time, and it's kind of awkward. (You can prerecord a fade-in, but then that sample won't loop seamlessly).

In a pinch, I can limit all my R24 recorded elements to repeating loops or pads, with every track starting at 00:00, and fade them up and down as desired. But if there's a way to "stagger" the playback start times of different tracks, then my tracks won't be limited to loopable elements. It will open the music up to more variety, more flexibility, if the tracks aren't limited to loops, and I can fade them up as needed, or trigger them.

I hope that made sense!

Is there a smart way to create loops on the R24 with my recorded elements, in order to save storage space, and make a short loop infinitely repeatable? Would every recorded loop have to be the same length? Are there options for using the R24 as a playback machine for samples, in an ambient format?

Thanks!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Using the R24 for live playback of ambient loops

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:56 pm

Samples, yes... Assign them (up to 8) to the pads, and tap the pad to start the sample playing (technically you can assign up to 24 using the bank switch -- but I'm not sure you want to be toggling banks and then hitting pads).

Whether a sample loops is determined by the sample/pad configuration. Read the manual pages 47-52, 63-64
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

K2000
new to this board
new to this board

Post by K2000 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:28 pm

That's great! Thank you!
0 x

K2000
new to this board
new to this board

Post by K2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:46 am

After having spent a little time with the R24, I'm excited because it looks fairly powerful and I think I can grow musically with this device. However, I still have a couple of questions...

1. What would folks recommend is a good strategy for organizing workflow of a live performance? I think I can work with just 8 channels of samples per song, so after song one I would stop playback, then switch to Bank 9-16 for song two, then stop playback and switch to Bank 17-24 for song three. (I might not need to stop playback, maybe I can use the |<< and >>| "jump to start" playback controls - I just thought of that). What is the most efficient way to organize my playback of multiple pads (about 8 pads per piece errr "song"?)

I see there is a "Playlist" function, where multiple projects can be played back, but it seems like that only plays back the mixed down Master tracks. But I need all the unmastered source tracks to be 'live' so that I can 'play' the R24... a "live mastering performance" (without the file bounce). Any suggestions?

2. Importing WAV files from computer into the R24. I was under the impression that I could use USB to copy WAV files onto the R24 and assign them track placement inside a Project. It doesn't look like I can do that...? I'm doing a lot of prep work in Logic with edits and plug-ins. It would be super convenient if I could bring WAV bounces from Logic over as files, and set up my project using the R24 folder system.

3. If I do a simpler play/record method to import my Logic tracks, what can I do to insure that panning settings are carried over? I have a Stereo Imaging plug-in (inside Ozone) and it would be great if any 'panning' setting was carried over. Do I need to play/record those Logic tracks into Stereo Linked R24 tracks, then bounce the files onto one track from there? That would save me from bouncing in Logic. My Echofire D/A converter has a Left/Mono port, I'm afraid that running from that port into the single input jacks on the R24 will mean I lose that Stereo Imaging info. Maybe I'm just tired or dumb, any comments on a smart way to retain Stereo Imaging info from tracks processed in Logic?

To be clear, in this last question I'm asking about two possible ways to transfer the Logic files: Bounce individual tracks in Logic and play that Bounce while recording on the R24. Or not bouncing, just 'playing' individual tracks in Logic, and recording "stereo link" style on the R24. Does it make a difference if I "pre-bounce"? How do you suggest I record the files onto the R24, to keep the Stereo Imaging results?

Thanks for any tips!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 am

Bottom up: the only way to "keep stereo" is to assign the stereo WAV file to a linked track pair (which will tie up two of the tracks in the bank). If you bounce to a mono-track, you give up any stereo placement that had been made in the WAV file, and will have to rely on device pan settings to position the mono track in the playback "field" -- in which case you might as well generate the file as a single track mono WAV and save the effort of bouncing it.

As for getting the files to the R24... Manual page 106 (note the "Hint" at bottom left). Page 25 discusses assigning files to tracks; stereo link is page 20. If the file you want to assign is a stereo WAV you need to first link a pair of tracks to which it will be assigned; conversely, if the file is a mono WAV, you need an unlinked track for it. Page 49 (and the rest of the section on using the "sampler") may also be relevant.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

K2000
new to this board
new to this board

Post by K2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks! I figured out how to get files over via USB. I was having trouble because I created my project at 48khz and R24 only recognizes imported USB files if the project is 44khz (I think I have that right). So I couldn't see my files in the project. I deleted the project and started over at 44khz. Still, that is a real timesaver (work in Logic, then drag & drop the files into the Project folder via USB). Neat!

I will probably import mono tracks from now on, and try to use the R24 to do some subtle panning. A lot of the subtleties will be lost in performance, so it's better to concentrate on the broad strokes for now.

I wonder if "jump to marker" would be a way to organize "songs"... create a long duration project with several parts, separated by markers. That might be hard to organize or wrangle. I need to figure out what is easiest.

Thanks for your help!!!!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:52 am

You can't mix sample-rates/bit-depths... If your project was defined as 48kHz 24-bit, then any WAV files you import from elsewhere have to also be 48kHz/24-bit.

Can't speak to the use of markers. If you are using the pads to play tracks (sampler function), I believe those always trigger from the start of the track.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

crowley

Post by crowley » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:48 pm

0 x