R8 mono vs stereo

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

R8 mono vs stereo

Post by Beatnick » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Right now I'm recording directly into my laptop, but PC recording just doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking of hooking up my R8 again. I will still use the G3n for effects though. I've wrestled with this question so many times before and maybe it's been discussed, but should I hook it up for stereo or mono recording? Obviously the big down side to stereo is it drops you down to 4 tracks and the big downside to mono is effects that are stereo won't sound as good. What are some opinions on this?
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: R8 mono vs stereo

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:41 pm

The R8 gives you 2 stereo and 4 mono tracks for recording, correct?

What else are you going to record beside the G3n output? Will you be using the G3n stereo effects? If so, then I would dedicate one stereo track for the G3n. If you're going to record multiple guitar parts then record the focal point in stereo and the supporting tracks in mono.

Also from the way you asked the question it's pretty obvious the G3n output will be the primary focus of your recordings so it makes sense to me that you would want to capture the full audio output of the G3n for the focal point of your recording.

There isn't any hard and fast rule that says here's how you got to do it. It depends on what you want to record for your song project and how you're going to record it. You can always record one stereo track and four mono tracks and bounce them down to a stereo mix on the empty stereo track so the stereo track and four mono tracks can be used again. It's all digital so there is no degradation of the sound.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:16 am

R8 is 8 tracks mono or 4 stereo tracks. Whether I use stereo effects is up in the air. I would record mostly the G3n and keyboard and bass and program the drums.

My biggest gripe with the R8 is the way the drum machine is set up. Instead of having a seperate drum track that you can create and link patterns, each pattern you use on the R8 uses one track, but at least those use one track and stay stereo.

Basically it boils down to do I (and I'm trying to get personal opinions on this as well) prefer to have more tracks for recording or stereo effects. If I do stereo I can record basic 2 patterns for drums 1 guitar track, 1 keyboard track and bass. No room for extra tracks without bouncing, which I try to avoid. While in mono I would still have 3 tracks for a second guitar and more drum patterns if needed. Keep in mind drums will always be stereo.
Last edited by Beatnick on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:16 am
R8 is 8 tracks mono and 4 stereo tracks.
It is 8 tracks which can be configured as nearly any combination of up to 8 mono OR 4 stereo PAIRS. Not "8 tracks mono AND 4 stereo tracks" {The "nearly" is that stereo pairs must be an adjacent odd&even pair, not even&odd pair, nor odd&odd or even&even}

And the R-series don't really have "drum machines" -- they have sample sequencers, of which the drums are in essence built-in samples. Each pad/track then holds one sample. The R-16 doesn't even have that much.

The discontinued HD16, OTOH, had a proper drum machine system with dedicated pads and MIDI I/O.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Well, you certainly caught me on a huge goof. I was going off of what they originally said which technically is correct, you could have 2 stereo tracks and 4 mono tracks. Anyway, I changed my wording to or. And,of course, you are right about the sampling of the drums. For some reason that never clicked in my head until I saw it worded in your comment just now. I would rather have had a dedicated drum machine like we had in the PS-04. Now the next thing is if you can create a single track stereo sample for drums, why can't you do that with plugged in instruments?

And the original point to the post still hasn't been address. Yes, I know it's all personal preferance, but I'm trying to get opinions. Would you rather have 8 tracks to record in mono or use stereo effects with 4 tracks? At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going with mono, but I still like to hear some of your opinions.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 pm

I apologize for getting the track splits incorrect.

The lack of built-in drum and bass machines is the main reason I didn't move up from the MRS-8 to R8. I enjoy programming the MRS-8 drum machine and don't understand why, after all the machines they've used it in. Another is the MRS-8 and R8 handle track files tracks differently. The MRS-8 has virtual tracks while the R8 assigns files to tracks. The big R8 pluses are it can handle 24 bit depth and built-in stereo microphones.

I'm a big believer that you should record source material as accurately as possible so if the source material is stereo then record in stereo while if the source material is mono then record in mono.
0 x
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:17 am

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 pm
I'm a big believer that you should record source material as accurately as possible so if the source material is stereo then record in stereo while if the source material is mono then record in mono.
I've heard many other people say that before. I think stereo effects are cool on guitar, but they aren't 100% necessary. Right now, I'd rather have 8 tracks, but my mind will probably change. It usually does. If I had 16 tracks I'd definitely do stereo, but 4 tracks just isn't enough for me.
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:44 am

Beatnick wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:17 am
Right now, I'd rather have 8 tracks, but my mind will probably change. It usually does. If I had 16 tracks I'd definitely do stereo, but 4 tracks just isn't enough for me.
Which may be more an indication that the R-24 (since the R-16 doesn't have /any/ drum features) would have been a better match to your needs. For one thing, you could assign the 8 tracks of the third bank to the drum sounds, and still have two banks of 8 to layer recordings on (allowing for four stereo pairs in each of the first two banks).
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 am

I didn't have the money for an R24. Really I was pretty happy just using the recorder alone with the onboard effects, but when I saw the G3n at the pawn shop for $70 I couldn't pass it up. Once I heard the amp models, I knew it was for me. I was able to get a decent sound out of the R8, but the G3n is much better. I'm liking the idea of mono more right now. If I record a loop jam on track one, it should be easy to add bass on track 2 or keyboard. Also I could use the R8 for some extra effects.
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Sounds like you have a plan. That's great! :)

Let me guess, you was in the pawn shop "just looking around" with no intention to buy anything and the G3n just jumped into your hand while crying "buy me". Is that kind of how it went? I can't tell you how many times something similar happened to me. My wife finally found a solution to my problem. I can't go into a pawn shop without her! :wiggle:
0 x
Zoom MRS-8

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:55 am

Very similar. I went on to look at what I'd do games they had. You can sometimes find them cheap at the pawn shops. I happened to look at the guitar pedals while there. It's hard for me to pass up anything Zoom, but I did then. They wanted $72 then, but it was marked to drop down to $66 in October. For a few weeks I kept going back to look at it, expecting it to be gone, but it was always there. I downloaded the manual and looked through, trying to decide. When October was getting closer I asked if they could drop the price early since it was only a week away and they did. It was $70 and some change after tax. I don't regret it. I did hook the R8 up. I don't mis the stereo at all. Also another big plus is that I can still create loops and use the rhythm on the R8 when all my effect slots are full on the G3n (which happens often. The looper and rhythm are actually treated like pedals so I usually don't have room for them once I add all my effects.)
1 x