Start Zoom R8 as audio interface by default?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Joe Nice
new to this board
new to this board

Start Zoom R8 as audio interface by default?

Post by Joe Nice » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi!

I have seen the question been asked for the R16 without any conclusive answer apart from the usual repliers that only tell you to accept things the way they are as were the device made by nature itself.

So: Can I in any way make the Zoom R8 start up in audio interface mode by default? :?:

I got the R8 as a handmedown and have no intention or use for it as a recording device, but I like its nifty features as an audio interface/mackie control unit.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Start Zoom R8 as audio interface by default?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:13 pm

In a word, no. The R8 is a recorder first and interface or surface controller second.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Joe Nice
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Joe Nice » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks Jim! I'll end my search.
1 x

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:25 am

I like (and appreciate) the "recorder first" idea.

For the R24 (I don't know about the other R's) it is a bit different. When powered up, it is a recorder. However, when not powered on and then connected to USB, it comes up with the choice between Audio IF and SD card reader. Iin this case I would like to have the R24 connect as Audio IF by default (or configurabe).
1 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:54 am

I suspect for everyone that wants the USB connection to come up already IN interface mode, there will be someone else who wants it to come up as card-reader, since they just want to copy their recorded tracks to the computer for later processing.

Making either mode a default will rile up the other half of the user-base, as they now have to CANCEL the mode it came up in, and then select the desired mode. Currently, everyone just has to select the mode they want without cancelling any default.

I could maybe see a firmware update that stores the /last used/ mode in the project information file -- but changing from one project to another could then mean a different default comes up.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Joe Nice
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Joe Nice » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 pm

sciurius wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:25 am
when not powered on and then connected to USB, it comes up with the choice between Audio IF and SD card reader.
I don't know what you mean by powered on. The R8 is dead and silent if you don't switch it on. Maybe it works differently than your R24
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:31 pm

I've noticed my G3 and G3x will come on even when off and I connect to my PC and the PC is on. I don't think I've ever had that issue with my R8, but I'd have to test it to be sure.
1 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Many devices are designed to boot from OFF if a powered USB connection is made.

Perusing the R-x manuals, they do not auto-boot if OFF... However, if they ARE OFF when connected, they can be POWERED from the USB connection, no separate power line needed.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards