Copying one track on R126

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
ianb
new to this board
new to this board

Copying one track on R126

Post by ianb » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:28 am

My apologies if this has been answered before on this forum; I have searched without success. And my apologies to those who say 'read the manual' - I have (page 60!) but still can't get it to work.
I like to copy one single track/file. That is, on previous machines, if I have recorded a vocal on track 1, I will often like to copy it to track 2, so that I now have two identical vocal tracks. By playing around with each separately, I get a fuller overall sound.
I cannot follow the instructions on page 60. I am OK up to stage 6 - but I cannot 'change the name of the file' because I never give them names. And if I do give them names - then where does the copy end up? How do I say 'copy this to track 2'?
A way around this is using 'bounce', but that is time-consuming.
I do apologise if I appear to be dense, but will be grateful as always for idiot-level instructions.
Thanks.
0 x

sciurius

Re: Copying one track on R126

Post by sciurius » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 am

(I only have the R24 documentation, but I don't think this is different from how the R16 does it.)
The recorder gives names to the files, like MONO-000.WAV. When copying, you give the copy a different name, for example COPY-000.WAV. This file is not associated with a track. Using "Assigning Tracks", in step 4 you can select FILE and select COPY-000.WAV.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

ianb
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ianb » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Please forgive this brief and hasty acknowledgement. I'll try it as soon as I can. Many thanks for your help.
( I didn't notice that my query had a mistake in it, and referred to the 'R126'!)
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Unlike the older HD (and likely MRS), or the BOSS stuff, the R-series does not function with "virtual takes/tracks" wherein data is ALWAYS tied to track positions. Instead, it works with free-floating files, which have to be "assigned" to track positions for playback.

If I understand P60, 6-right should be displaying the "current" name of the file being copied (3-right seems to imply the source file has to be one already associated with a track). Step 6 requires one to modify that name (otherwise you'd be copying the file over itself). The name shown is likely the default which is type (MONO or STEREO) and a sequence number.

After copying, as has been mentioned, you will need to use the ASSIGN function to attach the copy to an available track position.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards