Clipping of a recording

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
BM_Radio_Players
new to this board
new to this board

Clipping of a recording

Post by BM_Radio_Players » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:21 pm

I have recorded a radio play using 6 mics and a stereo SFX using an R16.

I have done this successfully many times but this time I am experiencing "clipping" of voices on all the voice tracks. They suddenly start and stop for short periods, maybe 130 - 150 mS. I first thought it may be clipping from high levels, but from what I read in the manual high levels only result in distortion not in the recording being clipped, and it doesn't seem to be in places of high level anyway.

I can hear the unclipped portion of the words at very low level on the adjacent mikes, so it only seems to affect one track at time.

This recording is ruined, but I don't want it to happen again.
Any ideas out there of what could be the cause?

Regards
Philip Hammon
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Clipping of a recording

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 am

"Clipping" IS "Distortion".

There are three places where clipping/distortion can be introduced, though the third is least likely (master fader level too high for the mix).

PEAKing (input gain control is set too high causing clipping in the ADC stage)
Insert Effect Output level too high (resulting in clipping of the processed signal, even though the input PEAK was correctly set)

Wasn't anyone monitoring during the recording? They should have heard any problems with enough time to attempt corrections.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards