Need a few tips on sequencing

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
JoshuaMAndrews
new to this board
new to this board

Need a few tips on sequencing

Post by JoshuaMAndrews » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:14 pm

After struggling a lot with drum sequencing in the R 24, I found this very helpful post elsewhere on the forum:

viewtopic.php?t=18700 - How to Sequence a Full Song on the R24

Are there any other tutorials here or another site that go into just as little more detail? My issues were as follows:

1. Just playing around, assigned the first pattern to Track 1/2. Couldn't hear anything, so I pressed Bank. Found it playing
on Track 9/10. Do the drums always go to a virtual track?

2. How to delete the pattern from a given measure? Couldn't figure it out.

3. If I want to string a bunch of patterns and loops together then embellish them by playing along on the pads, how do I do this? Do I need to mix and bounce things down and then add other bits to a separate track or is there a way to play along in real time as it gets recorded?

Thanks!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Need a few tips on sequencing

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 pm

The R-Series have NO VIRTUAL TRACKS... The R24 has, as named, 24 tracks ALL ACTIVE and uses the bank switch to just toggle the physical controls from one set of 8 to another. Devices with virtual tracks ("v-track" or "v-take" depending on maker), like the old HD series and the BOSS devices, tend to support between 8 and 10 "takes" per track, but only ONE take per track can be active.

I'd have to see the file assignments for all tracks, along with the track parameters (it is possible to set fader positions without touching the faders and bank switch -- one opens the track parameters menu, scrolls to the fader level, and then scrolls left/right to access each track [all 24 can be done], and set level using rotary. I suspect most people put the patterns on the third bank, leaving the first two for recording instruments.

For #2 -- if the pattern is four measures long, you can't delete from it ad hoc. The pattern will always play four measures. You'd have to have a pattern that is shorter, and use the sequencer to trigger it on either side of the gap measure.

#3 -- I don't have an R24 so everything is based upon reading the manual... drum kits use the first two banks (first bank simple drums, second bank percussion [whatever that means]). I believe if you are in real-time input mode of the sequencer, any pads you tap while the project is playing would be recorded to the track sequencer.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

JoshuaMAndrews
new to this board
new to this board

Post by JoshuaMAndrews » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks, man. I understand everything except #2. I get the ad-hoc part but why can't I delete whole measures? If I had a pattern going for 12 when I meant 8, isn't there a way to delete that measure?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:58 pm

The first step in creating a PATTERN is to define the number of measures (along with quantization and time signature) that a new (EMPTY) pattern will cover. That becomes a fixed quantity once the pattern has been saved.

You can delete "notes" (pad hits) within the pattern, but can not change the length of the pattern itself.

I don't trust the manual page 113 -- I suspect for patterns 35-234, the "beats" column actually is measures ("bars"). The older HD16 manual captions that column as "measure" for all. Other than the very basic patterns, most presets are 1 or 2 measures long. One is supposed to use the track sequencer to combine these short patters into longer arrangements
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

yodaspeak
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by yodaspeak » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:50 pm

JoshuaMAndrews wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 pm
Thanks, man. I understand everything except #2. I get the ad-hoc part but why can't I delete whole measures? If I had a pattern going for 12 when I meant 8, isn't there a way to delete that measure?
Happens to me all the time. Let's say it's the intro drum section, so you *think* you need 12 measures for it and then decide after you've created the pattern, you only want 8. You can't "take away" the unwanted measures. That's just the way they created the software. I get it.

In this case if it really was an intro, just leave the unwanted 4 measures silent. I assume you are using the track sequencer, so just overlap the next pattern 4 measures in.

If it's something like the verse pattern, I've just had to get rid of that pattern and start again. And I can't think right now of how I unassigned it and replaced with another. Those things are really frustrating with the R24. It's not great for spontaneous creations. I usually plan out on paper what I want to do in advance.
0 x