R8 stereo line in

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Beatnick

R8 stereo line in

Post by Beatnick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Just curious, it's not a huge deal. I started using my G3n again and I'm using it in stereo because I think it just sounds better. However, I notice it does not come through the speakers in stereo unless I activate a stereo track. Is there anything in the settings to let me just play in stereo without activating a track? I hope that makes sense.
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: R8 stereo line in

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm curious why your post subject header is about the R8 while the text is about the G3n?

I don't have the pedal but I wouldn't think so.

Your instrument is mono however the G3n offers a combination of stereo and mono effects so the pedal output will be stereo when one or more stereo effect is in the signal chain and mono when all effects in the signal chain are mono.

So the workaround is to always make sure at least one stereo effect is in the signal chain.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 am

I guess I left out an important detail in the post. I'm plugging the G3n into the Zoom R8. The left line out is going into input 1 and right into input 2. When I just play for the heck of it, everything comes through both speaker without any kind of stereo effect...basically everything is in mono. Once I activate a stereo track for recording, then I hear the stereo effects properly. I would like to just jam sometimes without activating a stereo track and wondered if there's a setting on the Zoom R8 that allows that.
1 x

Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 am

The description is still somewhat cloudy... The R8 has internal "insert effects", and the G3n IS an insert effect (since it is "inserted" between the source and the recorder). Which effects are you speaking of.

What do you mean by "activating a stereo track"? The R-series recorders do not have stereo TRACKS -- every track is a mono signal. They have the ability to LINK two tracks into a stereo PAIR. If the tracks are not linked, then any signal coming into each track is a mono signal, and the default panning position is dead center. You have to adjust the panning to left/right for the tracks to create separation. When using a linked pair, the panning is automatically considered full left/full right, and the panning control now acts as a balance control, reducing a signal on one channel while bleeding some of it over to the other side.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I think you have hit what I need to do, Wulfraed. I need to pan input 1 to the left and input 2 to the right to get the stereo separation I'm looking for. I do have a habit of assuming people know what I mean and trying to keep it short. I am using stereo effects from the G3n and none on the R8 and when I say active a stereo track I do mean 2 tracks that are linked for stereo recording. As you said it automatically pans when you have stereo linked tracks activated. I'll have to do it myself for the inputs.
1 x