R24 into Cubase/Audacity

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
noteon
new to this board
new to this board

R24 into Cubase/Audacity

Post by noteon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi, all. I'm new to the forums, and either my search-fu is weak or no one's had these particular dumb questions yet.

Using the R24 as a standalone device, I recorded 22 tracks of overdubs on a 4-minute piece. Now, having realized I can't really mix on the R24 (no level automation, as far as I can tell), I've installed Cubase LE AI Elements 10.

1. When I import my project's component audio files into Cubase (or into anything else, eg, Audacity), all the files are placed at 1:00:00, including the ones whose start times are later in the piece when played back on the R24. Is there a way for Cubase to read their correct positions and put them there?

2. What's best practice for organizing multiple takes that were recorded on the R24 (created by the "Always New" recording mode) once those takes are imported into Cubase?

3. How do you work around Cubase LE's 16-track limit when using it with a 24-track recorder? Or do you just use something else?

Thanks much in advance!
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: R24 into Cubase/Audacity

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:19 pm

On the R-series, ALL files start at relative time 0.0 (aka measure 1 beat 0 subbeat 0). The only way that a file plays back not starting at that time point is if one has used the track sequencer to produce a "playlist" of the tracks, with some having delayed "play" locations.

The "normal" "overdub" method for getting delayed starts is... start recording from time 0.0, and record silence until you reach the delayed starting point for the track, then start the performance... Importing such tracks into software would, then, start at time 0.0, but the wave form would show nothing until you reach the position at which the performers began.

I'll admit I'm not sure how the unit behaves if one starts recording a track when the clock is not at 0.0. The notes for punch-in/punch-out (page 30) imply that it probably creates a file with suitable silence at the beginning.

I don't know of any software that knows how to parse a Zoom project/track-sequencer file.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

noteon
new to this board
new to this board

Post by noteon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:14 pm

I appreciate the information, thank you. I'm working in the 30-day trial version of Digital Performer, which I used to have a license for and may soon again...
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:33 pm

As long as you're DAW shopping you might want to download and try Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB). https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

The former owner of Cakewalk and Sonar, Gibson, stopped development of Sonar in late 2017 and in 2018 sold Cakewalk to BandLab. BandLab is a Chinese owned company that has a diverse musical product platform including online and brick and mortar music stores, audio interface development, Harmony and Heritage guitar factories. BandLab also is an online music collaboration, creation and social platform.

BandLab renamed Sonar Platinum as Cakewalk by BandLab and released it as a free product. For comparison, before Gibson closed it down, Sonar Platinum was selling for $499 US.

While the daw is not limited in any manner it does not have any of the third party content formally included with Sonar Platinum. However, any third party content people acquired through a Sonar purchase still works fine with Cakewalk by BandLab.

Cakewalk by BandLab reassembled the core members of the Sonar Platinum development team. The team has released multiple updates with an update arriving just about every month. So far the updates have focused on making the daw more stable, addressing long standing issues and integrating with the online platform.

I've used consumer Cakewalk daw products and never came close to using all the features. Cakewalk by BandLab has so many features it's difficult to know where to start. It's like starting anew for me.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:37 pm

noteon wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:31 pm
When I import my project's component audio files into Cubase (or into anything else, eg, Audacity), all the files are placed at 1:00:00, including the ones whose start times are later in the piece when played back on the R24.
Being placed at 1:00:00 is okay, but the audio should start with silence up to the point where the recording started.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)