No sound output for armed tracks

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
kenf
member in good standing
member in good standing

No sound output for armed tracks

Post by kenf » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:15 pm

I have been using my Zoom R24 for years. In the last day or so I'm suddenly having a problem where tracks that are armed to record, and show significant levels on the LED meters, are sending no output to the headphones or the main outs. Creating a new project from scratch (resetting the settings instead of copying) solved the problem once, but the next new project is doing the same thing. I have to again create from scratch, and redo all my project settings.

My Metronome switch is on "Phones Only" and the balance knob is turne dall the way to Master/Direct.

I haven't changed any settings or done any upgrades. I'm on V1.12 of the firmware. Any ideas what's going on?
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: No sound output for armed tracks

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:03 pm

Is the R24 headphone jack making an intermittent connection? Is your headphone jack or cord going bad? Have you tried using the R24 to format the SD card? Have you tried a different SD card?
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

kenf
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by kenf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:30 pm

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:03 pm
Is the R24 headphone jack making an intermittent connection? Is your headphone jack or cord going bad? Have you tried using the R24 to format the SD card? Have you tried a different SD card?
It's not the jack or the cords -- no output from headphones at all (not intermittent), nor is there any output from the main outs. I'll try reformatting or switching SD cards.
1 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:29 pm

I highly doubt the SD card can be blamed.

However... The LED meter indicates the level of what is going INTO the track (if armed for record, or the level that was recorded when set to playback), not what is coming out to MASTER. The output level is controlled by the fader but does NOT show on the meter.

Because the faders are virtual (the same fader controls three tracks: eg: 1, 9, 17) and hence can not be physical, they may not reflect the actual setting on the track. Try sliding the fader all the way up, down, and then to the desired level for the tracks in question. This action will move the fader to "catch" the real level setting for the track, after which movement will change the output level of the track.

Alternatively: open the track parameters window, jog down to fader position, jog left/right to select tracks (you can select all 24 tracks regardless of which BANK you have active), and rotary dial the position setting. Fader position of "0" is -Inf, "100" is 0dB. "127" (or 128) is +12dB.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

kenf
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by kenf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Wulfraed wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:29 pm
Because the faders are virtual (the same fader controls three tracks: eg: 1, 9, 17) and hence can not be physical, they may not reflect the actual setting on the track. Try sliding the fader all the way up, down, and then to the desired level for the tracks in question. This action will move the fader to "catch" the real level setting for the track, after which movement will change the output level of the track.
This is possible. I tried moving the faders, but maybe not far enough to "catch" the real setting. I'll make sure to do the full range next time. Thanks .
1 x

hoodoo voodoo
dues paid
dues paid

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 pm

4 settings which have to be 'up' : headphone volume pot (next to headphone socket), master fader and individual channel input fader (and input gain pot) and the Master/Direct knob (as you've already confirmed in your opening post).

Once you're getting successful recording with this as a Project, simply stopping the recording should save it as a template for the next project, so when you create a New Project, these settings should auto-import as the new settings. Did you try moving the pan setting also, to confirm it's not giving you 100% off ?
1 x