Zoom R24 USB Access Error

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
flamesong
been here a while
been here a while

Zoom R24 USB Access Error

Post by flamesong » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:45 pm

I have been using my Zoom R24 for five years but have only ever used it as an audio interface or when I have recorded on it, accessed files via the SD card.

Having recently watched some YouTube videos, I decided to get into using it as a recorder more and having recorded a project, wanted to copy the master track I had saved to the connected USB stick.

Each time I have tried, with several different USB sticks formatted to FAT32, each time I have got errors; the usual error was 'USB Access Error'. I have tried using the INIT option in the USB menu but I get the same error. On one occasion, having reformatted the card to FAT32 and manually created a folder called ZOOM_R24, I got an error saying that the card was full. I deleted the folder on my Mac and tried again but then got the access error again.

The red USB LED on the Zoom R24 flashes when the process is being attempted.

I have searched online for Zoom R24 'USB Access Error' (with quotes) but found nothing at all and I can't find any information, even in the manual, which says what the correct format is to use for USB devices but the stick which cane with the drum loops on is FAT32 and it works fine, if a little slow. The only difference seems to be that the drives I am trying to use are 16GB and the drum loops stick is 4GB; is there a capacity limit to USB drives?
0 x

flamesong
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Zoom R24 USB Access Error

Post by flamesong » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Just a bit of additional information arising since I posted.

I found some old USB sticks which were smaller than 16GB, an 8GB and a 4GB but neither of them were recognised.

I tried formatting the 4GB using Terminal on my Mac, something I'd forgotten about which usually solves problems I have with devices not being recognised but that failed to work as well.

So, it isn't a capacity problem and the only stick which is so far recognised is the one which came with the R24.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 pm

For what it is worth, I just tried an ancient 4GB Centon DataStick Pro (the unit I use with a BK Precision digital oscilloscope for saving display images), a NEW (factory format) 32GB PNY Attache3, and a NEW SanDisk Cruzer Dial, in my R16. (Now if I can just locate my expensive encrypted Aegis SecureKey)

All three took.

Caveat: the R16 only does /file/ save/load, and does that to the top level of the memory stick. On the R24, the INIT function creates a Zoom specific directory tree and allows saving of entire projects.

As I understand it, you have been using a Macintosh to do the formatting, and it sounds like the only unit you have that does work is one that you have NOT FORMATTED. Have you tried a memory stick direct from the store, without formatting it locally? If that works, the fault is in the Macintosh formatting...

I'd also suggest downloading https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ -- I'm presuming the Mac version operates similar to the Windows version. The Windows version WILL recognize USB sticks and will format them. Try the OVERWRITE and CHS ADJUSTMENT options.

Non Sequitur ADDENDUM: Naturally, after not locating the SecureKey during the last month of sporadic checks, I locate it five minutes after ordering a new one for $120 -- testing is going to be tricky, needs to recharge the lithium polymer battery so I can't just enter the pass code and then connect it. Had to connect to R16 to get power, flip the R16 over to access the SecureKey keyboard to enter pass code... But... I was able to copy a file from the R16 to the SecureKey, and read the file using the computer.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

flamesong
been here a while
been here a while

Post by flamesong » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks.

That worked perfectly. I discovered that I had actually downloaded the SD Card Formatter a month ago without installing it and can't remember doing so or why.

Anyway, everything is working now. I just can't figure out why the FAT32 formatting of my Mac works for every other device - Zoom H6, Nikon and Panasonic cameras, Pure and Panasonic hifi etc. but not the R24 which is not exactly an ancient piece of kit.

Thanks again. I'm just relieved that the R24 isn't faulty.
0 x