R16: problems getting started; possible fault?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Pupil
new to this board
new to this board

R16: problems getting started; possible fault?

Post by Pupil » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Greetings, fellow Zoomers. Thorough noobie here, so please bear with me. :oops:

I recently acquired a used R16, which I was given to understand had never actually been "used" to much, if any, degree previously. I have been working my way slowly through the manual, but have immediately run into a problem. When switched on, the top line of the display immediately lists "PRJ ---" under which are an assortment of zeros and colons. 'EXIT' does not clear this and if I press 'PROJECT', it says "Save to No. 000". I have tried using the cursors, but nothing seems to be able to provide me with an option to 'SELECT' or any kind of menu.

I'm sure I must be overlooking something obvious and fundamental in my ignorance/inexperience, but I can't for the life of me think what it is, and am concerned there may be some fault. Can anyone offer advice?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: R16: problems getting started; possible fault?

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm

First thing I'd suggest is...

Remove the SD card and format it outside of the R16 (I'd also recommend using https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ to do the formatting). Reinsert the card and power-up the unit. It may ask to format the card (which includes creating the directory structure used by the R16, and probably the initial project, which should be named something like PRJ000 -- take a look at the left side of page 14 in the manual. The top row appears to be the project number, followed by the project name (names can be edited using the PROJECT menu); the bottom row is current marker (if any) and "time" HH:MM:SS:mmm (can be switched to measure-beat-tick [1/48 beat])

If the project is not created on the SD card, turning off the power should save the project (empty at this time). You are in the ready state for recording tracks (faders, input gain, and play/mute/rec buttons are the primary controls at this stage).

You don't state what you are trying to "select" -- but to get menus you must first use a button on the control section (pan/eq, send return effects, insert effects, etc.). Cursor buttons to move through menus and fields, rotary knob to change value of the displayed field.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Pupil
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Pupil » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Thankyou for your reply.

I should clarify that I was following the instructions on page 5 of the manual, 'Let's make a quick recording with the R16!". Step 2 instructs that one press and hold EXIT "until you return to the main screen", but nothing happens when I do so. It then instructs pressing PROJECT, but when I do so it says "Save to No. 000". Have I overlooked a basic setup procedure?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm

The main screen IS the one listing current project name and time/position.

Strangely, the only place the manual shows "Save to..." is on page 69 -- when doing a hot swap of SD card.

The R16 powers up /in/ a project state... If the card is totally blank, it will want to save the current project to the card when you press [PROJECT]. OTOH: if the card is totally blank, the current project is essentially a NEW project.

{My R16 is buried in the basement, not readily handy to attempt testing}
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 pm

I have an R8, so I may not be any help, but here are my 3 thoughts.

1 After it says save to 000 do you hit enter to try and save it? 000 should be the title of the first project.
2 Have you checked the card to see what files are on it? Make sure the right files are there and if not see if Zoom or someplace else has a way to download them.
3 Can you check the firmware? Can you download the firmware update from Zoom and install it?

Just my initial thoughts.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Dragged out the Pelican1500 case. Confirmed I had nothing serious on the SD card (kazoo rendition of almost "Ghost Riders in the Sky"), formatted it with SD Card Formatter (in "overwrite" mode, so this is taking a while -- 32GB SDHC... 30 minutes later and 65% formatted). Reinstalled SD card.

CAVEAT: I don't have batteries in the R16, so it may remind me to set the clock.

Power ON (no clock reminder as the AC supply was connected all this time and the reminder only appears the first time power is done)

R16
Ver 1.20

CREATE PRJ000

{Main screen}

[PROJECT]
<saving...>

PROJECT 1/7
>NEW [SD]100:28:21

So -- for some reason your device thinks the SD card is being changed on a live device. Power down, remove batteries, disconnect AC power, remove SD card...

Format the SD card (using the recommended utility).

Reinsert the SD card, THEN reinstall batteries (if used), connect AC power (if used).

Power on. It should create the default project 000, and if you hit the [PROJECT] button, that (empty) project should be saved. {Though for paranoia, I'd go [TOOLS] cursor to SD, and select the FORMAT option, to ensure the R16 directory structure is set up; I think the "CREATE..." I saw does that too, but why risk it}

Oh, BTW: if the device doesn't display version 1.20, you may want to find the firmware update for the R16.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed