R16 audio interface mode / Cubase LE5

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
calpgrmr
new to this board
new to this board

R16 audio interface mode / Cubase LE5

Post by calpgrmr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 am

Hello. Recently I connected my R16 / Cubase LE5 system after may years of never really trying to figure it out, Everything is working, but ... I have a question.

Let's say I have a source signal (from a CD player) plugged into channels 3 and 4. Adjusting the gain controls, the meters on the R16 and in the Cubase program show that it is working, and recording creates the expected files

However, when I'm recording, I hear the music, even though the channel faders and the master fader are set to the bottom, OFF.

Why? What have I missed?

Cal
0 x
Cal the programmer

sciurius

Re: R16 audio interface mode / Cubase LE5

Post by sciurius » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:22 am

Assuming the R16 is similar to R24: When used as an audio i/f and control surface, the sliders control the sliders of the DAW. If the control surface is properly configured in Cubase, when you move the sliders on the R16 you should see sliders move on the screen.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

calpgrmr
new to this board
new to this board

Post by calpgrmr » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:03 am

Yes that is correct. The R16 faders are causing the DAW faders to move.

But when I fade the faders up and down, or to "off", I still hear the same volume.
0 x
Cal the programmer

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 pm

calpgrmr wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:03 am
But when I fade the faders up and down, or to "off", I still hear the same volume.
Missing information: you are hearing it from where? If your control surface is linked to the R16 in/outs, but your software is configured to use computer speakers for output, then R16 faders will not affect the output. Similarly, the input gain controls really affect the input level, not the faders -- the faders control the mix level (so from tracks in the software) going to the master (and master controls the level going to the attached output speaker/headphone)

I have never managed to get any version of CuBase registered (and that's over WinXP, Win7, Win10), so can't really help with configuring it.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

calpgrmr
new to this board
new to this board

Post by calpgrmr » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:24 pm

I have the R16 outputs connected to my power amp inputs, so I am hearing the R16 output.

And YES, Cubase IS A PAIN TO REGISTER !!! But patience payed off (or did it?), I finally got it to fire up.

I take it that your setup works correctly, so I'm starting to think that there is some setting in Cubase that I haven't found. What DAW software are you using?

Thanks, Cal
1 x
Cal the programmer

calpgrmr
new to this board
new to this board

Post by calpgrmr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 am

:cheer: AHA !

In audio interface mode the balance of the
signals monitored from the inputs and the signals
returning from the computer can be adjusted