Zoom HD16 with broken stop button

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Klink
member in good standing
member in good standing

Zoom HD16 with broken stop button

Post by Klink » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:12 pm

My old faithful HD16 has a broken stop button. I've temporarily made it useable by stuffing something soft in the gap but it's only a matter of time before the button disappears into the innards of the unit. Does anyone know if this is easily repairable (superglue or whatever) if I was to get right inside the unit (pretty difficult in itself as it's not just a matter of taking the back off) as I realise parts are not available anymore? I'm guessing the button is broken off rather than just needing to be snapped into place.

Obviously I'm looking out for a good condition used one on eBay etc. (Australia) but they don't come up often over here.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Zoom HD16 with broken stop button

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Note: I don't have a HD16 but have a MRS-8. The HD series replaced the MRS series so there is some similarity.

If you're talking about the exposed part of the stop button you may be able to have someone 3D print one.

The button is likely a plastic button that either (1) presses a micro-switch mounted to a circuit board which is the same way most mouse buttons work or (2) has a carbon disc glued to the bottom of the button that shorts together two contacts on a circuit board which is the way many laptop keyboards work. Both are fixable.

If it is (1) then the micro-switch is likely deformed (partially crushed) and your spacer is filling the gap created when the switch was pressed too hard. It can also be caused by the exposed, plastic button cover on top of the micro-switch is cracked or broken into multiple pieces. Finally it could be a spring between the micro-switch and plastic button has moved out of position or is broken. If it is (2) then you're still most likely looking at broken plastic button or a spring.

Obviously, the first step is to find out what is causing the symptom which means disassembly. If you don't feel comfortable taking the HD16 apart just about any computer repair shop should be able to handle the job. Note: Zoom has NEVER released parts or service information about ANY of their products, including the HD8 & HD16 so factory guidance is not available.

If it is a bad micro-switch then a ohm meter can be used to determine if the switch has latch or momentary action. Latch is like a light switch. The connection stays open or closed (short) until the next time it's activated. Momentary is like a camera flash. The connection stays open or closed only while you hold the switch in position. A good example is a mouse button where you have to click and hold to drag. It will also have to be determined if the micro-switch defaults to normally closed (shorted connection abbreviated as NC) or normally open (no connection abbreviated as NO). Finally careful measurements will need to be taken of the actual size of the micro-switch and its connections. If you can't find a micro-switch that is the exact size and connections then a tech likely can jury rig a switch that electrically will work, but not fit correctly, using a switch from his junk pile. Every tech I've met keeps a stash of parts they'll use "someday".

If it is a spring or carbon disc, same thing, parts from the junk pile may work.

If it is a broken plastic button you're best bet it to take photographs of the part and its pieces. Lay the part(s) out and include a ruler in the picture so accurate measurements can be determined from the photographs. It might also help to show a similar part such as the button for the record, pause or stop buttons.

Perform an internet search and find someone that can 3D print a replacement button.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:52 am

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:41 pm
The button is likely a plastic button that either (1) presses a micro-switch mounted to a circuit board which is the same way most mouse buttons work or (2) has a carbon disc glued to the bottom of the button that shorts together two contacts on a circuit board which is the way many laptop keyboards work. Both are fixable.
The good news is that the transport control buttons ARE plastic (I had to dig my unit up to check -- since some of the buttons are rubber/vinyl [the buttons that are also used as the drum pads and are "pressure sensitive"])

The bad news -- I believe the buttons are translucent plastic, with LED indicators behind them. Since I didn't plug the unit into power, I can't confirm which (I know the PLAY and REC buttons have indicators).
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Klink
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Klink » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks guys, some useful information there. Jim, I reckon it's scenario 1) the micro-switch as before I stuffed a gap filler in there I saw a metal round switch which works just by pressing it for the stop function (no light on the stop button Wulfraed, just play & rec have the lights fortunately). The spacer is actually directly pushing the switch now & works every time at the moment. I'll have to have a look inside sometime after I've finished mixing 5 or 6 songs that are in there I guess, I'm just worried that I may end up with a stop button that doesn't work at all then - or worse still, a totally non-functioning HD16! It'll be good to know though, once & for all, what's happening in there i.e. are all the transport buttons separate units from each other or are they meant to be fastened together as one unit?

I'm still watching out for a used one as I could copy my backup to that one in case of emergency with mine once taken apart. Will keep the forum posted of any progress but it could be a while.
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu May 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Each transport function has a discrete plastic part with a flat lip that is slightly bigger than the cover hole. Each transport position may have a spring to hold the plastic button in position. Each transport button may be resting on top of its associated micro-switch. As I implied before each transport function likely has a off-the-shelf micro-switch soldered to the circuit board. The circuit board also has a discrete LED for each transport function that calls for red or green back lighting. Although it looks like each led is part of the transport control they are not. An integrated circuit (ic) chip is instructing each led when to turn on, off or flash. The ic chip in turn is responding to the change in on-off state from each associated transport micro-switch.

While everything is working properly is a good time to open it up so you can take digital pictures and notes. You'll especially want to measure how high the top of adjacent transport buttons are off the circuit board. That's how high the tip of the replacement micro-switch button needs to be for the plastic cover to sit and operate correctly. It also is helpful to know how far the micro-switch plunger travels from unpressed to depressed. Finally you may not be able to measure the micro-switch pin-out once the original switch stops working.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Klink
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Klink » Fri May 03, 2019 12:03 am

Thanks again Jim - some useful info there!
0 x