Zoom R24 mixdown compromise (8 faders/24 tracks)

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Klink
member in good standing
member in good standing

Zoom R24 mixdown compromise (8 faders/24 tracks)

Post by Klink » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Bought an R24 recently to either replace eventually or work with my HD16 (with broken stop button) but mixdown is a pain with 8 faders for 24 tracks. Yes I know it's 3 banks of 8 faders but as soon as you switch from one bank to another the faders don't show the actual values so there's mucho fiddling around to be done.

I take it there's no way around this that anyone's found out on here? Or nothing is available to interface with the R24 that has 24 faders (probably not as no midi available)?
0 x

sciurius

Re: Zoom R24 mixdown compromise (8 faders/24 tracks)

Post by sciurius » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:24 am

Yes, that's a known nuisance. Motor-driven sliders are quite expensive.
I assume you know you can look up the actual values with the Track button but you need to manually adjust the slider...
Best for mixing is to use a DAW on PC (e.g. Ardour).
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:23 am

Klink wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:46 pm
Bought an R24 recently to either replace eventually or work with my HD16 (with broken stop button) but mixdown is a pain with 8 faders for 24 tracks. Yes I know it's 3 banks of 8 faders but as soon as you switch from one bank to another the faders don't show the actual values so there's mucho fiddling around to be done.

I take it there's no way around this that anyone's found out on here? Or nothing is available to interface with the R24 that has 24 faders (probably not as no midi available)?
As mentioned, the fader "position" (0..127) IS available via the TRACK parameters -- and so far as I recall, you can also set a value using the rotary dial (cursor up/down to select FADER, cursor left/right to select track -- all 24 can be reached without bank switching, rotary to set value -- 100 => 0dB, 0 => -inf, 127 => +12dB)

The R-series aren't really optimized for use as an all-in-one unit... It has 24 tracks because the so-called rhythm/sampler system sucks up a lot of them (unlike the HD16 drum machine which uses MIDI on/off data for preset sounds). It was meant to be a way to record parallel tracks for editing on a computer (in which it can then become audio interface and/or 8-track control surface). It doesn't even have the HD16 "scenes" feature.

I vaguely recall someone making a device with motorized faders back in the 90s -- but it started at $1500-2000...
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Klink
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Klink » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks for your input guys (yes I knew you could look at the actual fader values with the track button).
0 x