R24 Can it mixdown to dvd burner via its usb ?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
twopods
new to this board
new to this board

R24 Can it mixdown to dvd burner via its usb ?

Post by twopods » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:25 am

As above.
I'm asking for a friend
I know, they all say that, but seriously;

He has some songs he wants to work on with more instrumentation etc
He is totally against using a DAW, so I suggested an R16 or R24 as from reading about them, they can be as simple or sophisticated as you want to make it, but then he asks me this.

He's been looking at an old Roland brochure, at some model with an inbuilt CD, so I wondered if the much more modern Zoom models (I know the older Zooms had inbuilt CD) could use their USB socket for an external burner ?

TIA
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: R24 Can it mixdown to dvd burner via its usb ?

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Burning a Red-Book Audio CD... NO -- the formatting needs to be done by the Zoom device.

I even doubt it could burn a DATA CD -- since it lacks capability of "formatting" and "finalizing" CD media.

Mass-storage mode might work with a USB HARD DRIVE, if the drive is formatted in FAT (if one has formatted one using Linux EXT# or Windows NTFS, it won't be recognized). A FAT drive may look, and act, like a "thumb drive" memory.

I also would not recommend a Zoom R-series for significant editing. They lack inter-/intra-track editing (eg: cut and paste snippets between and within tracks); they only copy entire tracks, and I believe allow for cutting stuff at the beginning of a track.*

The trend in multi-track recorders has been to make them audio-interface/control-surface putting detailed editing onto a computer running DAW software -- instead of the stand-alone DAW capability of the HD-x and earlier models (as I recall, one of the top-line TASCAM units even had a color monitor! and maybe motorized faders)

*the first release of the BOSS BR-800 also lacked such editing, but they implemented those functions in the first firmware update -- my biggest complaint is they still do not have rhythm pattern editing on board; just song [ie; laying out pre-set patterns] editing. Yet the 800 has a high-res dot-matrix display on which one could have implemented the pattern editor similar to the Windows software: move up/down to pick drum, move left/right to position "hit", use rotary to set strength. It also lacks the pitch-map pitch-correction** module that the BR-600 had.

** most pitch correction systems are simply "nearest chromatic/diatonic-key note"; the pitch map allowed one to specify exact note [not octave, still corrects to nearest octave] for correction. Using a pitch map, one could record a constant note source and still play a one-octave range <G>
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

twopods
new to this board
new to this board

Post by twopods » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:39 am

Yes, I'm looking at the Boss for him as the Zoom is too much for what he wants. He doesn't have, nor want a computer so its hard to advise him.

Funnily enough, at one point I had a Korg1300 which would have done exactly what he wants, and I think this was what started him off :-)
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:42 am

I suspect the TASCAM DP24sd would really be overkill (well, only if one doesn't include the DP32sd in the running). DP03sd may be closer -- but none of the TASCAM have a rhythm feature of any type.

The discontinued DP24 had a CD burner (as did the predecessor 2488neo).

Looks like the BR-800 is the only BOSS device still available (ignoring the single input pocket models). The discontinued BR-900 and BR-1200 were available with CD burners.
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards