How can this be!

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Mumford
new to this board
new to this board

How can this be!

Post by Mumford » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:18 pm

I have a brand new R16 right out of the box and I do belive the card reader is broken! do they not check R16 from the factory.
I power up and it shows version 1.21 and then "card protected".
When I try to create a new project it ends with "card protected".
Everything I do ends with card protected or save error.
The card I use was with the box.
It can show me sd card remain, so it can read from the sd card but not write to it.
I know my way with card sliders and have even used tape to prevent movement.
I have tried two different sd cards and two adapters with the same result "Card protected".
This is so bad "right out of the box".??
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Re: How can this be!

Post by mikethebass » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Hello Munford,

I've been using a AZoom R16 for about 10 yeasrs with no problems.

First question, have you tried putting the Zoom supplied card into a PC or Mac and copying a file onto it? If so what was the result?

Have you tried putting a good sd card with a WAV file inot the R16 then, without powering up, connecting it toyour PC with thye USB cable and setting it to card reader mode?
0 x

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 am

If you're quite sure it is not the card, then go back to the shop and return the R16 under warranty.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Mumford
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Mumford » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 am

Yes I have copied wav files to the card with my pc and that went just fine, but r16 will not find them (card protected).
I will try your other suggestion and get back. thanks Mike.

Yes I know, but you see I got the r16 seven months ago and I did unpack it but I did not remove the plastic and so on.
So any warranty is gone, Yes clumsy I know but personal problems got in the way.
So if anyone has ideas here I would like to know, my only hope is to get it running or it will be thrown away. thanks sciurius
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:56 am

"Card Protected" should not affect /finding/ files.

Card Protected normally indicates the write-protection slide -- on the card itself -- is in the lock position. Have you ensured that slide is forward (toward the contact pin end) -- and stayed there when you inserted the card. Maybe try a different SD card.

If all those are in proper state, and still shows "card protected", it is likely the micro-switch in the card slot (I don't know if they detect a hole for protect or writable, or are pushed out for that condition). If the switch has to be pushed out to lock the card, it may be stuck in the "out" position. OTOH, if it needs to be pushed out to write, the part of the switch that rides the side of the card may not be making contact.

In either case, an electronics repair shop may be able to find a replacement SD card cage that can be soldered in place. They run around US$3 https://www.digikey.com/products/en/con ... ageSize=25 though service labor is likely going to be an hour (at $80+/hour)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:07 pm

Mumford wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 am
I got the r16 seven months ago and I did unpack it but I did not remove the plastic and so on. So any warranty is gone
I don't know where you bought it, but warranty is usually one to several years. I got three years warranty on my R24.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

hoodoo voodoo
dues paid
dues paid

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Mumford wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 am
Yes I have copied wav files to the card with my pc and that went just fine, but r16 will not find them (card protected).
I will try your other suggestion and get back. thanks Mike.

Yes I know, but you see I got the r16 seven months ago and I did unpack it but I did not remove the plastic and so on.
So any warranty is gone, Yes clumsy I know but personal problems got in the way.
So if anyone has ideas here I would like to know, my only hope is to get it running or it will be thrown away. thanks sciurius
I think you should write to Zoom USA (or head office in Europe, or whichever part of the world you are in) and give them a detailed description of the problem...before you attempt any repairs which involve you or local tech people opening the case of the R16.

Zoom seem to be very generous and fair as regards repairs and warranty, if you haven't done anything to damage it yourself....they will likely ask you to return it to them (perhaps at your postal/shipping expense) and then they will very likely simply send you a new item. It's often not worth their trouble to attempt repairs....just send you a new one instead !
0 x