Has Anyone Gone from PC to HD?

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Lee
The Force
The Force

Has Anyone Gone from PC to HD?

Post by Lee » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:02 pm

I'm seriously thinking of going back to a stand-alone unit, namely the HD16 or even the 8. Why? I'm sick of issues I've had with PC based recording and I like the flexibility of having the FAST drum programming option along with the flexibility of totally customizing the kit (I sort of have that on the PC but with a load of headaches to boot).

I'd like to hear some of the built-in guitar tones too. Because again, it's all about simplicity in my considering to switch.
Has anyone else switched from PC to the HD?

I may still "master" or even mix on the PC but I need an easier way to record. The thought of going back to a more "command line" approach to editing excites me too. I'd rather use time (measures and beats) over some stinking GUI with a sound wave image to edit.

If I can get as "hot" a final wav on the unit I'd toss the PC altogether.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

bebop
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by bebop » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:36 am

I was heavily into pc recording once upon a time. I thought the endless track possibilities were amazing, the sound tweaking possibilities appealed to my control freak side, the idea that everything was possible made my head spin with delight.
But I spent more time getting a perfect sound than getting a perfect song. I would fill 24 tracks with tiny additions that took energy and life away from the song, leaving in so many cases an exceedingly well polished turd !!! I listen back to it all now and i cringe with embarassment. Total bilge :lol:
Now i've got my HD16 and its fantastic. I can record with great sound quality, add effects and eq but it stops there, no wave maps to fiddle with, no science lab dissections to be done. My song writing is better than its ever been because the focus is on the song not the production. I use additional instruments with care and after a lot of thought. Bizarrely enough this little machine has limited my choices but widened my horizons.

I think you'd really benefit from using the HD as your main device Lee. The Cubase link ups are there if you need them should you want to go further.
0 x

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:23 am

I went from PC to MRS 1608 - never regret it - it's much easier to have Zoom in my basement then:
- a loptop
- soundcard
- drum computer

and it works - all the time - no need for virus updates ...

Since the HD records the audio as true .wav file - we have the best of both worlds. Easy recording and if necessary the option to copy all to Cubase and do the final editing on the PC.
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:47 pm

My biggest problem using the PC was... latency.
Oh man how hated it when I created a midi drum track and then tried to record an audio guitar track with it.
It sometimes took the computer so long just to play the midi drums that it was almost impossible to play at the right tempo.
With the HD16 I don’t have this problem at all, no matter how many tracks I use or effects, the drum track is always solid as a rock.

Right now my hole recording process is done on the HD16 and there are enough in-depth editing possibilities up until very descent mastering algorithms.
I only use my PC for one thing now a days and that’s to create original drum patterns using… Armin’s excellent pattern editor (http://www.soundside.de).
0 x

dmage
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by dmage » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:20 pm

Totally agree with the other posts here. I went from cassette multitrackers to a PC setup, which virtually killed my desire to record music for nearly five years. I picked this thing up a couple of months ago. Since then, I've re-recorded some of my old cassette masters, written several new tracks, and am just basically back in the game again.

I will never deal with PC recording bullsh*t again. This thing brings the music back to music production.
0 x

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:33 am

Wenn I started PC recording with Cubase 3 - not SX or VST - no Cubase 3 :wink: - everything was a pain i.t.a. the soundcards 'Soundblasters' were not full duplex, latency was HUGE - and after every installation of any new addons or Windows updates - new problems.

This has changed today - using a MAC and a RME Fireface400 - I have no problems with my computer recording setup.

But both (a stand alone recorder and PC recordings) have pro and cons.

I love to use the HD16 in my basement to make small recordings of myself or to create play alongs to jam or to record our small band.

On the other hand it's also fun to work with all this software plugins.

The good point for the HD16 - it can be used for both - as a stand alone recorder AND as a controller for a DAW.

But since Cubase LE is included in the HD bundle - everybody can check if the soundcard and PC works fine for this task.

.. but as mentioned before - I like both worlds.
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm