my zoom hd... broken! :(

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
juanfriju
new to this board
new to this board

my zoom hd... broken! :(

Post by juanfriju » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:41 am

I told you that I could not listen the sound of my Zoom-hd... The next morning I called to thomann and they told me that the machine migth be broken... :x so I have to send the machine, in order to change it for a new one...
0 x

taurus
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by taurus » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:46 am

Did they say they know what could be wrong ?
0 x

juanfriju
new to this board
new to this board

Post by juanfriju » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:04 am

No they didn,t. They only said that I have to sent the zoom hd... and after that they would send to me a new one...
I am worried about that, because it is the first time that hapens to me :cry:
Is it Thomann responsibly with the changes?
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Re: my zoom hd... broken! :(

Post by eace2063 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:34 am

juanfriju wrote:I told you that I could not listen the sound of my Zoom-hd... The next morning I called to thomann and they told me that the machine migth be broken... :x so I have to send the machine, in order to change it for a new one...
Juan, did you get your new replacement?

I can sympatise with you. I bought mine 6 weeks ago and it broke. I was moving it from the living room to the bedroom to record vocals tracks since it is less noisy in the bedroom. I think I forgot to shut the machine off before I pulled the plug off.

Now I am getting a messgae that says Internal Error. I tried loading the recovery disc and I also followed the manual on running tests to restore data and nothing works. All I get is error messages.

I am going to send it back and see if they can fix it or send me a new one. It was my stupid mistake but I'm kind of glad it happened because I now have some concerns.

What if you have the machine on and there is a blackout in your city or the power goes out in your house/building, you blow a fuse in your house/building etc. The machine can get easily damaged since it was not shut off so that the hardrive can save all data.

I think this machine should at least come installed with a battery to prevent someone losing their data because of a power outage or like me they mistakenly pull the pluged before turning off the machine.

Or at least the machine should advise on plugging the damn recorder to an additional power sourse like my brother reccomended. In case of an emergency the additional battery power source would keep the machine on so that you can shut it off properly while you resolve your power outage issue.

Also always back up all your projects!

Whether they give me a new machine or fix this one I am sure I lost my projects. I finished one demo which I burned on a CD and created an MP file :( on my computer but I had another demo with finished tracks except for the vocals which I am probably going to lose.

I hope you got your machine and I hope I can get a new one as well...

E
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi eace2063,

That's bad luck.
Just for the record: what harddisk maintenance actions did you perform?

When you start the machine do you hear the harddisk and do you see the harddisk led flashing?
If so then it looks very much that the operating system is corrupt.
This is basically the SYSTEM.ZEX file in the root directory (the same one you get for updating to a new version).
If you don't have access in any way to restore this file there is only one way and that is to return the entire hard disk to the factory default (All Initialize).
This action formats the hard disk and restores system files and
various data necessary for operation of the HD8/HD16. All
existing projects including demo song data will be erased.

If the project is really really important to you, you could consider removing the harddisk and put it in your PC as second harddrive.
You could then copy your project and restore the SYSTEM.ZEX but I guess that’s too much of a tricky operation for most people but it’s an option to retrieve your lost project.
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Post by eace2063 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:43 pm

Henky wrote:Hi eace2063,

That's bad luck.
Just for the record: what harddisk maintenance actions did you perform?

When you start the machine do you hear the harddisk and do you see the harddisk led flashing?
If so then it looks very much that the operating system is corrupt.
This is basically the SYSTEM.ZEX file in the root directory (the same one you get for updating to a new version).
If you don't have access in any way to restore this file there is only one way and that is to return the entire hard disk to the factory default (All Initialize).
This action formats the hard disk and restores system files and
various data necessary for operation of the HD8/HD16. All
existing projects including demo song data will be erased.

If the project is really really important to you, you could consider removing the harddisk and put it in your PC as second harddrive.
You could then copy your project and restore the SYSTEM.ZEX but I guess that’s too much of a tricky operation for most people but it’s an option to retrieve your lost project.
Hi Henky,

I thanks for the advise but I guess I will be returning the machine back to get a new one. I hope they give me a new one! I've only had it for 6 weeks.

The project is not too important to me. One of the projects was completed and I burned it on CD twice and I have it on my computer as a MP3 file. The other project was not completed but I can easily recreate the drum & bass patterns/song pattern, record tracks etc. I did spend a few weeks working on it but then again I didn't know what i was doing with the machine. I learned a lot in a few weeks so it will be a breeze for me the next time around.

Just to share with everybody what is happening because I would hate for this to happen to anybody. Especially if it is no longer under the 1 year warrantee.

When I turn on the machine I get a message that says Internal HDD error. I hear the hard disk for a few seconds and then it stops when I get the error message. There was no lights flashing it was solid red.

The manual shows you how to reset the machine and even how to use the restoration disk. It says to turn off machine and start it up again while holding down to the clear button. This is supposed to start the machine in HDD UTILITY MODE which serves for special fuctions such as test, restore and scan disk.

All I get is the message ERR ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Nothing is working! if I load the restoration disk I hear it loading up but then it stops. Shift with 1 pad does nothing.

The machine is dead!

I am totally screwed!

Thanks for the concern and sympathy. I was so upset this weekend I had chest pains. LOL!

I sincerely would not want this to happen to anyone so I advise everybody to keep a clear head and always remember to shut it off before unplugging it.

Perhaps I should set up the studio in the bedroom permanently so I do not have to move it around when i want to record vocals!

Have a great weekend!

eace.
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Were you also not able to select “RECOVER?” using the left/right keys while booting from CD-rom?
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Post by eace2063 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Henky wrote:Were you also not able to select “RECOVER?” using the left/right keys while booting from CD-rom?
Nothing comes up when I load the CD ROM. The error messages stays on the display so there is no where for me to go. I can't arrow up down sideways etc.

The only choice I have is to send it back.

Thanks
EA
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:46 pm

OK, good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Post by eace2063 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:55 pm

Henky wrote:OK, good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.
Thanks,

I will let everyone know. I sent an email to the nearest service center and I also called. They are close on weekends. They are only 30 miles from my house. I will follow up tomorrow.

By the way my problem is listed on their website Q&A under the topic other.

The question was what happens when you get the message Internal HDD error?

Their reponse:

: The internal hard disk cannot be accessed properly. Use the ScanDisk function of the HD16 to check and repair the internal hard disk file structure. For details, see the section "Test/restore integrity of data on internal hard disk (ScanDisk)" on page 172 of the Operation Manual. If this does not clear up the problem, contact your ZOOM dealer for service.

Nothing worked so I have to contact them for service...
0 x

taurus
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by taurus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:29 pm

You guys are making me worried :shock:
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Post by eace2063 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:22 pm

taurus wrote:You guys are making me worried :shock:
Sorry I didn't want to worry anybody but then again I don't want what happened to me to happen to someone else.

Lots of luck!

Eace
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Broken HD16CD

Post by eace2063 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 pm

I sent my recorder in for service yesterday and I was told there was a 6 week turnaround. So I guess I won't be recording until new years unless they send me a new one.

I can't wait to get it back!

I learned a lot in a few weeks and had a lot of fun too!

Eace :cry:
0 x