HD access noise

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
MLA
new to this board
new to this board

HD access noise

Post by MLA » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:21 pm

Hello everyone, TIA

There is a significant ticking at about 30 bmp as the recorder accesses the harddrive and during playback. I understand what the sound is, I'm looking for some feedback on other peoples noise level. I was looking forward to having a quiet room after years of computer recording and hiding equipment in closets and cabinets. It is enough to be picked up by my mic anywhere in my little room, I know noise annoyance is relative but this sounds like harddrive noise from computers 10 years ago, tick tick tick tick...what is other people's experience, cheers and thanks,

mike

I have thirty days to return it...otherwise love the machine, I used the ps-04 travelling for years, I like zooms products...but this might be a deal breaker...
0 x

dgleason
been here a while
been here a while

Post by dgleason » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:16 am

Hi Mike,

After reading your post, I turned mine on and listened for the ticking and sure enough it is there. I hadn't noticed it before. It's not very loud, but is audible. Definitely hard drive accesses causing it. Does it in both play and record mode. For me I don't know if it is a problem or not since I haven't started any serious projects yet. I would guess a HD replacement with a quiet drive would eliminate the problem. Strange that zoom would use a noisy drive for this kind of product.

Curious to see if any other HD16/8 owners have this problem.

My old 1266 was quieter than the HD16.
0 x
Dave
HD16CD

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:41 am

I am considering the 16, so this interests me. On two new computers, one at home and one at work, the one at home has the ticking sound but the one at work merely whispers - very difficult to hear the hd moving.

The home computer (the noisy one) has a
Seagate ST3200827AS 200 GB SATA II Hard Drive
and the one at the office (the quiet one) has a
80 GB 7200 RPM Caviar® SE SATA Hard Drive from Western Digital®

These are SATA hard drives. I don't know if the Zoom HD16CD has a SATA 80gb drive or an IDE 80gb drive. I'm thinking 80gb is a little large for an IDE, but I may be wrong. If the Zoom HD16CD has a SATA 80gb drive, I recommend the Western Digital.

I bought a second identical drive for each computer, and paid $48.59 at Dell online for the Western Digital WD800JD, Dell Part# : A0649733. this was in June, and there was a special going on. They are selling now for $55.99 here: <a href="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... 3">WD800JD at Dell</a>.
0 x

rthrashburn
dues paid
dues paid

noise

Post by rthrashburn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:16 am

i bought my hd16 in june '07. it has made the noise you describe from day 1, and initially i was worried too. all i can say is that the noise has not gotten louder, or affected performance in any way i can tell. it is a lot quieter than my 240G lacie external.
if i keep the volume knob at a certain minimum level, i don't hear either of them :wink:
0 x

albandi
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by albandi » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:36 am

Yes, that noise is there, but I was not so worry about it before, becouse is not loud for me, and for the purposses I bought the HD16. I dont want to make proffessional recordings with this gear, but quickly captures of ideas. So I dont need so quiet scenes. But I'll take a look the same. I didn't think before that so quiet sound would be recorded.
Another noise that worried me at first time is when I plugged the guitar in a heavy distortion patch, and the mass noise is too much loud, same as it happens when I use the PC, but it is not so much when I go far away from the recorder and I am in certains angles. In this angle even I can go near the recorder to push REC.
0 x