Recording 101 Questions

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
guitarded_1
member in good standing
member in good standing

Recording 101 Questions

Post by guitarded_1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:34 pm

I have an HD16 and really enjoy using it. At the moment, I have had it for about a week and am still a novice. My question is in regards to stereo tracks. I understand that two tracks can be linked together to record in stereo. With guitar, for instance, I prefer to record two separate mono tracks and pan them right and left. However, are there times when I should think about recording (linking two tracks) in stereo?

Should drums be in stereo? How about a lead vocal? Are there any other stereo-related aspects I should consider in recording and mixing? Thanks!

Steve
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Recording 101 Questions

Post by eace2063 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:12 pm

guitarded_1 wrote:I have an HD16 and really enjoy using it. At the moment, I have had it for about a week and am still a novice. My question is in regards to stereo tracks. I understand that two tracks can be linked together to record in stereo. With guitar, for instance, I prefer to record two separate mono tracks and pan them right and left. However, are there times when I should think about recording (linking two tracks) in stereo?

Should drums be in stereo? How about a lead vocal? Are there any other stereo-related aspects I should consider in recording and mixing? Thanks!

Steve
I've only had the recorder for 6 weeks but I can offer a few tips of what I learned so far.

If you have a synth part or a keyboard with a two audio output (left and right) you should record that instrument in one of the stereo tracks.

If you use the drum/bass sequencer you can bounce the drum track from the sequencer to a stereo track. Drums definetely sound great in stereo.

Loys of luck!
0 x

guitarded_1
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by guitarded_1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:56 am

eace2063 wrote:
guitarded_1 wrote:I have an HD16 and really enjoy using it. At the moment, I have had it for about a week and am still a novice. My question is in regards to stereo tracks. I understand that two tracks can be linked together to record in stereo. With guitar, for instance, I prefer to record two separate mono tracks and pan them right and left. However, are there times when I should think about recording (linking two tracks) in stereo?

Steve
I've only had the recorder for 6 weeks but I can offer a few tips of what I learned so far.

If you have a synth part or a keyboard with a two audio output (left and right) you should record that instrument in one of the stereo tracks.

If you use the drum/bass sequencer you can bounce the drum track from the sequencer to a stereo track. Drums definetely sound great in stereo.

Loys of luck!
Bear with me here, as I have no idea what I am talking about. Alright, so when you refer to using a keyboard with a stereo track, what you mean is (for instance) setting the right output of the keyboard to record on track 1 and the left output to record on track 2 and then panning them, correct? I get confused when people talk about a stereo track, as I always think of two tracks, two faders, etc, but I guess that it's collectively referred to as a stereo track?

The onboard drums automatically record onto their own single channel/fader. In order to make the drums stereo, would I (another "for instance") move them to track 15 and 16 so that I can pan them a bit?
0 x

Henky
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Henky » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:21 am

Hi Steve,

Judging by your song "Why Would I Lie?", you’re doing just fine.
Maybe it helps looking at how you recorded the drums for that song.

In general, stereo tracks are nothing more then 2 tracks routed directly to the L & R of the master (no panning involved).
So in your case I would record the rhythm guitar and double them on 2 normal tracks and then copy or bounce them to a stereo track.
As far as recording drums is concerned, as I said, it would be interesting to know how you recorded your song and then have a look at if it could be done more efficient but then again I find your song sounds fantastic so why change a winning team?
0 x

eace2063
been here a while
been here a while

Post by eace2063 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:20 pm

guitarded_1 wrote:
eace2063 wrote:

Steve

Loys of luck!
Bear with me here, as I have no idea what I am talking about. Alright, so when you refer to using a keyboard with a stereo track, what you mean is (for instance) setting the right output of the keyboard to record on track 1 and the left output to record on track 2 and then panning them, correct? I get confused when people talk about a stereo track, as I always think of two tracks, two faders, etc, but I guess that it's collectively referred to as a stereo track?

The onboard drums automatically record onto their own single channel/fader. In order to make the drums stereo, would I (another "for instance") move them to track 15 and 16 so that I can pan them a bit?

I think Henky answered your first question so I will touch on the drums.

Yes if you have tracks available it would sound nice to bounce the drum chanel to a stereo track which is actually two tracks. Also note that when you create your drum patterns you can set the volume for each drum kit (snare, hi hat, kick drum etc) as well as pan right or left each individual drum kit. Most of the parts have already been pan left or right for you as well as the volume but you can adjust it for your own personal preference.
When you create your drum patterns you should set these preferences because once you bounce the drum pattern to an audio track you will not be able to manipulate the different drum kits in the pattern. So if you pan left you are panning all the parts in the drum kit (hi hat, kick drum etc)

I don't think you would need to pan anything once you bounce on a stereo track. You should Pan the different instruments in the kit within the pattern first and then bounce to a stereo track for a fuller sound.

On a demo I was working on 1 bounced the drum channel to a stereo track and still ended up using the drum chanel. My rhthm tracks consisted mostly of latin percussion Congas, Bongoes, Cowbells etc. The dynamics did not sound strong enough so when I doubled up on the tracks (stereo tracks plus original drum channel) I got a much fuller sound.

However, I didn't adjust the sound levels and I ended up with some loud maracas that made it sound cheesy. So I started from scratch working within the drum pattern. I adjusted the maracas levels as well as bongoes, congas, cowbells etc and I bounced it again to a stereo track. On the original Drum chanell I set the maracas to zero and it was fine afterwards.

Just experiement a little!

Good luck!

E-man
0 x